Read and download free pdf of CBSE Class 12 Chemistry General principles and processes of isolation of elements Questions Answers. Students and teachers of Class 12 Chemistry can get free advanced study material, revision notes, sure shot questions and answers for Class 12 Chemistry prepared as per the latest syllabus and examination guidelines in your school. Standard 12 students should download this study material which will give them more knowledge for all chapters in Chemistry and all important topics which are scoring and can get you more marks. Students should also download free pdf of Chapter wise Notes for Class 12 Chemistry prepared by school teachers as per the latest NCERT, CBSE, KVS books and syllabus issued this year and also download free worksheets and question papers available here to get higher scores in school exams and tests, also click here for more Study Material for Class 12 Chemistry
CBSE Class 12 Chemistry General principles and processes of isolation of elements Questions Answers. There are many more useful educational material which the students can download in pdf format and use them for studies. Study material like concept maps, important and sure shot question banks, quick to learn flash cards, flow charts, mind maps, teacher notes, important formulas, past examinations question bank, important concepts taught by teachers. Students can download these useful educational material free and use them to get better marks in examinations. Also refer to other worksheets for the same chapter and other subjects too. Use them for better understanding of the subjects.
Chapter 6 General principles and processes of isolation of elements
One mark Questions
1.Differentiate between a mineral and an ore.
Ans: The naturally occurring chemical substances present in the earth’s crust which can be obtained by mining are called minerals while minerals from which metals can be extracted economically are called ores.
2. Why is it that only sulphide ores are concentrated by froth floatation process.
Ans: This is because sulphide ores particles are preferentially wetted by oil and gangue particles are wetted by water.
3. Name one acidic flux and one basic flux.
Ans: silica and lime
4. Name the chief ore of silver.
Ans: argentite or silver glance
5. Name a reagent used during leaching of bauxite ore.
Ans : NaOH (sodium hydroxide)
6. Why is silica added to sulphide ore of copper in the reverberatory furnace?
Ans : In order to remove the iron impurity as slag.
7. What is the role of flux in metallurgical processes?
Ans : Flux is used for making the molten mass more conducting.
8. What is the thermodynamic relation between Gibbs free energy and emf of the cell?
Ans: ΔG= —nFE
9. What is the relation between Gibbs free energy and equilibrium constant?
Ans: ΔG= —RTlnK
10. Give the expression for Gibbs Helmholtz equation.
Ans : ΔG= ΔH—TΔS
11. Name one chemical which can be used to concentrate galena selectively by froth floatation process.
Ans: sodium cyanide (NaCN)
12. What type of ores is roasted?
Ans : Sulphide ores .
13. Out of C and CO which is a better reducing agent for ZnO?
Ans: The free energy of formation of CO from C becomes lower at temp. above 1120K whereas that of CO2 from C becomes lower above 1323K than free energy of formation of ZnO. The free energy of formation of CO2 from CO is always higher than that of ZnO. Therefore, C can reduce ZnO to Zn better than CO.
14. What is the chemical principle on which chromatography separation based on?
Ans : Adsorption.
15. What are the products obtained during the electrolysis of brine solution? Also write the name of this process.
Ans : chlorine, hydrogen and sodium hydroxide. The process is popularly known as chlor-alkali process.
16. What is roasting ?
Ans : The preliminary treatment of the concentrated ore in which the ore is heated in excess of air below its melting point.
17. What is calcination ?
Ans: The process of heating the concentrated ore in absence/ limited supply of air below its melting point.
18. What is smelting?
Ans: Reduction of metal oxide into metal in the presence of carbon or carbon monoxide.
19. What is blister copper/ copper matte?
Ans: The copper obtained after extraction has blistered appearance due to the evolution of SO2. It is called blistered copper/ copper matte.
20.What is meant by beneficiation process?
Ans: The process of removal of unwanted earthy and silicious impurities form the ore is called beneficiation process.
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 12 Chemistry General principles and processes of isolation of elements Questions Answers.
Click for more Chemistry Study Material ›