Read and download free pdf of CBSE Class 12 Chemistry d and f block elements Type MLL Questions Answers. Students and teachers of Class 12 Chemistry can get free advanced study material, revision notes, sure shot questions and answers for Class 12 Chemistry prepared as per the latest syllabus and examination guidelines in your school. Standard 12 students should download this study material which will give them more knowledge for all chapters in Chemistry and all important topics which are scoring and can get you more marks. Students should also download free pdf of Chapter wise Notes for Class 12 Chemistry prepared by school teachers as per the latest NCERT, CBSE, KVS books and syllabus issued this year and also download free worksheets and question papers available here to get higher scores in school exams and tests, also click here for more Study Material for Class 12 Chemistry
CBSE Class 12 Chemistry d and f block elements Type MLL Questions Answers. There are many more useful educational material which the students can download in pdf format and use them for studies. Study material like concept maps, important and sure shot question banks, quick to learn flash cards, flow charts, mind maps, teacher notes, important formulas, past examinations question bank, important concepts taught by teachers. Students can download these useful educational material free and use them to get better marks in examinations. Also refer to other worksheets for the same chapter and other subjects too. Use them for better understanding of the subjects.
Chapter: d and f- block elements
Explain Why? / How would you account for the following: [1 mark each?]
1. Transition metals are less reactive, high melting point and enthalpy of atomization.
2. Transition metals have high enthalpy of hydration.
3. Transition metals show several oxidation states.
4. Transition metals form coloured complexes.
5. Transition metals take part in catalytic reactions.
6. Why does vanadium pentaoxide act as a catalyst?
7. Transition metals are paramagnetic in nature.
8. Transition metals form complexes.
9. Transition metals have irregular E0 values.
10. The EM2+/M for copper is positive (0.34v) .Copper is the only metal in first series of transition elements showing this behavior, why?
11. Transition metals form alloys.
12. Transition metals form interstitial compounds.
13.Cu+ is unstable in aqueous solution.
14.Cu2+is stable in aqueous solution.
15. Zr and Hf exhibit almost same radii and properties.
16. The d1 configuration is generally unstable in ions.
17. There is a general increase in density of element from titanium (Z=22) to copper ( Z=29).
18. The lowest oxides of transition metals is basic, the highest is amphoteric or acidic.
19. Anhydrous CuSO4 is white while hydrated Copper sulphate is blue.
20.Co2+ is easily oxidized to Co3+ in presence of strong ligand.
Two marks questions
21. (a) Why HCl cannot be used in place of sulphuric acid to acidify KMnO4 solution in volumetric analysis ?
(b) Potassium dichromate is a good oxidising agent in acidic medium, why?
22. Write the balanced ionic equations for reacting ions to represent the acidified potassium dichromate solution with:
(i) Potassium iodide solution
(ii) Acidified ferrous sulphate solution.
23. List some applications of d- block elements.
24. Describe giving reasons which one of the following pairs has the properties indicated?
(a) Fe or Cu has higher melting point.
(b) Co2+Or Ni2+ has lower magnetic moment.
25. Calculate the magnetic moment of a trivalent ion in aqueous solution whose atomic no. is
26. Define transition elements. Explain why is Zn not considered as transition element while Cu does?
27. What happens when Cu2+ is added to I-? Write the balanced chemical equation.
28. Write the electronic configuration of24 Cr and 26Fe2+ .
29. Compare non transition and transition elements on the basis of their Variability of oxidation states (ii) stability of oxidation states.
30. (a) Name a transition element which does not exhibit variable oxidation state.
(b) Name three elements of d block which are not regarded as transition element.
Three Marks questions
31. Give chemical reactions for the following observations:
(i) Potassium permanganate is a good oxidizing agent in basic medium.
(ii) Inter convertibility of chromate ion and dichromate ion in aqueous solution depends Upon pH of the solution.
(iii) Potassium permanganate is thermally unstable at 513K.
32. Define lanthanide Contraction. Ce4+ is a good oxidizing agent whereas Eu2+, Sm2+ is a good reducing agent, why ?
33. (a)From element to element the actinoid contraction is greater than lanthanides contraction, why?
(b) Name the lanthanide element which forms tetra positive ions in the aqueous solution.
© The chemistry of actinoids is not as smooth as lanthanoids, why?
34. Balance the following equations:
(i) MnO4- + S2O32- (Basic medium)
(ii) MnO4- + S2O3 2-+ H2O
(iii) MnO4- + I- (in neutral or alkaline medium)
35. (a) The enthalpies of atomization of transition metals of 3d series do not follow a regular trend throughout the series.
(b) The enthalpy of atomization of zinc is lowest.
© Zn Cd Hg are soft and have low melting points.
(a) The E° value for Ce4+/Ce3+ is 1.74 Volt.
(b)K2Cr2O7 is used as Primary Standard in volumetric analysis.
© The third ionization energy of manganese (z=25) is exceptionally high.
(a)Although Cu+ has configuration 3 d10 4 s (stable) and Cu2+ has configuration 3 d9 (unstable configuration) still Cu2+ compounds are more stable than Cu+.
(b) Titanium (IV) is more stable than Ti (III) or Ti (II).
© The greatest number of oxidation states are exhibited by the members in the middle of a transition series.
38. (a) Highest manganese flouride is MnF4 whereas the highest oxide is Mn2O7, why?
(b) Copper can notlibrate H2 from dilacids,why?
(c)Which of the 3d- series of transition metals exhibits largest number of oxidation states and why?
39. (a)O.S. of first transition series initially increase up to Mn and then decrease to Zn , why?
(b) Why is Cr2+ reducing and Mn3+ oxidizingwhile both have d4 configuration.
© Ti achieves tetrahalides while chromium forms heaxhalide, why?
40. (a)Which form of Cu is paramagnetic and why?
(b) What is the oxidation no. of Cr in Cr2O72-?
41. Complete the following reaction equations:
(a) MnO2 + KOH (aq) + O2
(b) Fe2+ + MnO4- + H+
(c) MnO4- + C2O4 2- (aq) + H+
(d) Cr2O72- + H2S + H+
(e) Cr2O72- + I- + H +
42. Describe the preparation of potassium dichromate from iron chromite ore. What is the effect of increasing PH on a solution of potassium dichromate or Explain how the colour of K2Cr2O7 solution depends on PH of the solution?
43. (a)Describe the preparation of potassium permanganate.
(b) How does the acidified permanganate solution react with (i) iron (II) ions (ii) SO2 and (iii) oxalic acid? Write the ionic equations for the reactions.
44. Describe the oxidising action of potassium dichromate and write the ionic.
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 12 Chemistry d and f block elements Type MLL Questions Answers.
Click for more Chemistry Study Material ›