CBSE Class 10 English Communicative Question Paper 2007 (1). Students can download the last year question papers using the link below. Free download of examination question papers with solutions. Last 10 year question papers should be practiced to get better marks in examinations.
SECTION A (Reading)
1. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow :
1. Last June, my elder daughter Sylvie, finished kindergarten at the school near our home in Bethlehem, USA. If my wife, Theresa, and I have our way, Sylvie will graduate from the same school. I am eyeing Sylvie’s graduation because I want this to be her only school and Bethlehem to be her hometown. Both goalsfirst one a school, the second a hometown - eluded me. My father was in the army, and I attended numerous schools. Our transient lifestyle offered a grand upbringing, but it came at a cost. Of all those people I befriended on the run, for instance, I’ve maintained contact with exactly one. I’m generally from everywhere and exactly from nowhere.
2. I want Sylvie and her two year old sister Linnea, to have that hometown that I missed. It would be a place they know intimately, care about, return to with a thrill. So when Theresa took a teaching post in Bethlehem, we moved from Chicago and decided to settle down here. That was almost six years ago, and the transition was rough. We did not like the paucity of movie houses, usedbook stores and great restaurants. We found instead, cheap shopping malls and cornfields being transformed into faceless suburbs. It was hard to imagine blossoming in such a place. We began to seek out the good things in Bethlehem, of which, we discovered, there are many. In short order we turned up the children’s corner of the public library, a number of parks and the folkmusic club that draws top performers to a venue no bigger than our living room.
3. Where we found good places, we found good people. Slowly their numbers increased. Soon we discovered we had knit together a circle of dear friends. As our friendship strengthened, so, too did an unspoken belief that we would be here for each other over the long haul. We’d watch each other’s children grow up; offer them a hand where we could, support each other through the joys and travails of parenthood.
4. There’s a yearly party, a joint sale and more potluck dinners than I can count. We’ve celebrated both of Linnea’s birthdays with a bash on our front lawn. On Saturday mornings when many of us converge downtown, the shopkeepers greet me and my children by name, and hand out goodies. To the old-timers here, all this might be unremarkable. But to the vagabond like me, this acceptance is heart-warming, nourishing and ultimately sustaining. So why resist its pull ? Because it’s a mistake to take for granted a good community, or to assume we’d be lucky enough to find one somewhere else. In the end, good and lasting community arises from a commitment to it. And there’s no more basic commitment than staying put.
1.1 Complete the summary given below. Use only a word to fill in the blanks.
The author decided to stay put at Bethlehem as he wanted it to be his
(a) _____________________ hometown. Though upset about the lack of
(b) ___________________, he and his wife started to seek out the good things there. Soon a strong bond developed between them and their
(c)___________________. He resisted his (d)_______________________ to move to greener pastures. He also
(e)___________________that only with commitment can a lasting community arise.
1.2 Complete the following sentences :
(a) The author could not refer to any place as his hometown because _____________ .
(b) The author had contact with only one friend _______________ .
(c) The realization that lasting community arises _______________ .
1.3 Find words which mean the same as the following :
(a) many/in large numbers (para 1)
(b) change (para 2)
(c) sorrows/unpleasant experiences (para 3)
(d) a person who travels from place to place (para 4)
Please click the link below to download pdf file of CBSE Class 10 English Communicative Question Paper 2007 (1).