CBSE Class 10 English Language and Literature Board Question Paper Solved 2018 Set 1. Students can download the last year question papers using the link below. Free download of examination question papers with solutions. Last 10 year question papers should be practised to get better marks in examinations.
1. Read the passage given below :
(1) Tourists to Jammu and Kashmir have another attraction – a floating post office on the Dal Lake in Srinagar, the first in the country. ‘Floating Post Office, Dal Lake’ – claimed to be the only one such post office in the world – is built on an intricately carved maroon houseboat, fastened on the western edge of the Dal Lake.
(2) This post office lets you avail of all the regular postal services available in the country while being afloat. The seal used on everything posted from Floating Post Office is unique – along with the date and address, it bears the design of a boatman rowing a shikara on the Dal Lake. The special feature of this post office is that letters posted from here carry a special design which has the picturesque scenery of Dal Lake and Srinagar city. These pictures reach wherever these letters are posted to and hence promote Kashmir as a tourist destination across the world.
(3) This is actually a heritage post office that has existed since British times. It was called Nehru Park Post Office before 2011. But then the chief postmaster John Samuel renamed it as ‘Floating Post Office’.
(4) The post office’s houseboat has two small rooms – one serves as the office and theother a small museum that traces the philatelic history of the state postal department. It has a shop that sells postage stamps and other pro
(5) But for the locals, Floating Post office is more than an object of fascination. ` 1-2 crore is deposited per month in Floating Post Office by communities living in and around the Dal Lake. The lake has several islets that are home to more than 50,000 people.
(6) The greatest fear is the recurrence of 2014 like floods in which the houseboat had gone for a toss uncontrollably pushed by the flood. Rescue teams had to anchor it using special mechanism in a nearby highland. Then it was brought back on the Dal after the water receded. The biggest boon is that at no time of the year do you need a fan in this post-office !
1.1 Attempt any eight of the following questions on the basis of the passage you have read :
(i) What is the location of the Floating Post Office in Srinagar ?
(ii) What is special about the seal used in the post office ?
(iii) How is the post office helpful in promoting tourism ?
(iv) Who renamed the post office as ‘Floating Post Office’ ?
(v) What are the two rooms of the post office used for ?
(vi) How is the post office beneficial to the locals ?
(vii) What is the greatest fear that the post office has ?
(viii) How is the post office a big boon to the people ?
(ix) Find the word from the passage which means the same as ‘attraction’.
2. Read the passage given below.
(1) It is an indisputable fact that the world has gone too far with the innovation of new technologies such as mobile phones, the internet and so on, due to which people are able to tour the cosmos virtually sitting at one place using their smart devices or other technological gadgets. Though mobile internet access is oftentimes hurried and short, it can still provide common internet features like alerts, weather data, emails, search engines, instant messages, and game and music downloading.
(2) Due to the easy access of smart phones, communication has been very effective and instant. People are able to convey their message all around the globe to their loved ones without spending hefty sums of money. Adults are always fond of such gadgets and they always welcome and adopt such new technology readily. Further, young people have been able to broaden their minds and improve their skills by doing research on the Internet. For instance, they use smart phones to look up any new word they come across. As we know that most of the universities have online teaching provision and smart phones assist the students to complete their assignments on time.
(3) The mobile phone has been a lifesaver for a lot of people in case of an emergency.Likewise, use of smart phones can be of vital importance in preventing crimes in
(4) Nonetheless, for the young the use of mobile phone can be like an addiction and they can misuse it. Young people are also prone to getting involved in undesirable activities on the Internet. This might have adverse effect on their academic performance. Therefore, young people should always be monitored and made aware of its bad outcomes.
Please click the link below to download pdf file of CBSE Class 10 English Language and Literature Board Question Paper Solved 2018 Set 1.
Click for more English Study Material ›