Q. 1. Read the following passage carefully:
1) The world’s smallest dog, the Chihuahua or the Pocket Dog is barely 1 kg to 2 kg as an adult! The Chihuahua is named after a Mexican State, but its roots can be traced back to China. Today this breed is popular choice among the dog lovers world over and their popularity seems to be ever increasing.
2) The main advantage of this breed is that they need no particular exercise. They are quite satisfied with their walks within their house. Being small, however, does not mean that they are dull, on the contrary they are sharp, alert animals, very strong in character. They are good guard dogs due to their strong cords. They have an inherent curiosity that makes them want to know what goes on within the house.
3) For show purposes the maximum permissible weight is 0.9kg to 1.8 kg. Chihuahuas are of two types, the long coated and the smooth coated. The long coated ones have flat or slightly wavy coats. The smooth coated ones are soft textured and glossy in appearance.
4) They can be of any colour . Their heads are apple dome-shaped and in some animals, the frontal areas of the skull do not fuse! The nose is short and the ears are at an angle of 45 degrees to the head. The dogs are slightly longer than the tail and the tail is carried like a sickle that just touches the back. The body on the whole is compact and has a graceful appearance. Occasionally a tail-less dog is born but tail cropping is not an accepted practice.
5) Compared to other pups, they require little care, and only the long-haired variety needs grooming. They tend to exercise themselves within the confines of the house. This makes them prone to have overgrown nails that need regular clipping. As far as their diet is concerned, they could be fussy and choosy eaters, but then almost all toy breeds are so! They are intelligent and learn easily.
Read the following summary of the information given in the passage and fill in each of the spaces briefly.
1. Where can the roots of Chihuahua be traced ?
2 Which is the most popular variety of dogs among the dog lovers?
3 Why do people attracted towards the size of the smallest dog?
4 How do they feel when they walk within the house ?
5 What else do they possess besides strength of character ?
6 Distinguish between the two types of Chihuahua ?
7 Comment on the shape and the appearance of Chihuahua?
8 What is the diet of Chihuahua?
Q. 2. Read the following passage carefully:
1. The New year is the time for resolution .. The same old favourites recur year in and year out with the children, do a thousand and one job about the house, be nice to people we don’t like, drive carefully, and take the dog for a walk every day. Past experience has taught us that certain accomplishments are beyond attainment. If we remain deep rooted liars, it is only because we have so often experienced the frustration that results from failure.
2. Most of us fail in our efforts at self improvement because our schemes are too ambitious and we never have time to carry them out. We also make the fundamental error of announcing our resolution to everybody so that we look even more foolish when we slipback into our bad old ways. Aware of these pitfalls, this year I attempted to keep my resolution to myself. I limited myself to two modest ambitions, to do physical exercise every morning and to read more in the evening. An overnight party on New year’s eve provided me with a good excuse for not carrying out either of these new resolution on the first day of the year, but on the second, I applied myself assiduously to the task.
3. The daily exercise lasted only eleven minutes and I proposed to do them early in the morning before anyone had got up. The self discipline required to drag myself out of bed eleven minutes earlier than usual was considerable. Nevertheless, I managed to creep down into the living room for two days before anyone found me out. However, my enthusiasm waned , the time I spent at exercises gradually diminished. Little by little the eleven minutes fell to zero. By January10th I was back to where I had started from Resisting the hypnotizing effect of television, I sat in my room for a few evenings with my eyes glued to a book. One night, however, feeling cold and lonely, I went downstairs and sat in front of the television pretending to read. That proved to be my undoing, for I soon got back to the old bad habit of dozing off in front of the screen. I still haven’t given up my resolution to do more reading. In fact, I have just bought a book entitled ‘How to Read a Thousand Words a Minute’. Perhaps it will solve my problem, but I just have not had time to read it.
A. Answer the following questions in brief:
Q.1. Why does the author describe us as deep rooted liars?
Q.2. Why most of us fail in our efforts for self-improvement?
Q.3. Why is it a basic mistake to announce our resolution to everybody?
Q.4 Why did the writer not carry out his resolution on New Year’s Day?
B. Choose the most appropriate word from the given options selected from the above passage which convey the similar meaning to the following:
1. Sort out (Para 3)
a. Compile b. solve c. entitled d. proved
2. Drawbacks (Para 2)
a. Attainment b. announce c. rooted d. pitfalls
3. Decrease ( Para 3 )
a. Wane b. resolution c. proved d. mistake
4. stick ( Para 3)
a. glued b. carry c. solve d. creep
WRITING AND GRAMMAR
Q.3 You are Shalvi /Shiv of Village Murthal, Sonepat, Haryana. You are overwhelmed to see unity in diversity in India .So, you decide to write a letter to the Editor of The Hindu on importance of Indian Festivals. Taking ideas from the unit ‘National Integration’ together with the ideas given below and your own ideas, write this letter in not more than 100 -120 words.
• Indian festivals and festivities
• Uplift spiritual ,moral and social feelings
• Inculcate the feeling of social harmony and Integration
• Brings happiness and joy
You are Amar/ Amrita .You worry when you see frequent fights among Children here and there .Write an article on ‘Growing Violence among Children’ using your own ideas and the given inputs. (100-120 words).
• Frequent fights
• Quick quarrels
• Seeking bubble reputation
• Ego issues
• Seeking social acceptance
• Degrading moral values
• Family and friends disconnect
• Parents’ less involvement with children and lack of quality time with them
• Aggressive, jealous and competitive
• Guidance and counselling in school and at home
Q.4 Meeta started writing a story, but after some time she could not complete it as she lost interest . Complete her story on the basis of the beginning given below: (150 -200 words)
“ There was a forest beyond that there was a vast sandy area ,a big desert .Two persons ,husband and his wife ,were walking on this hot sand .The woman had a small infant in her arms .Suddenly from somewhere an eagle flew over them and …………….(also give a title to your story)
Q.5 Fill in the blanks choosing the most appropriate option from the ones given below to complete the passage. Write the answers in your answer sheet against correct blank number. Do not copy the whole passage .
Pollution is one of the most serious problems (a)………….. humanity is facing today. This problem is (b)………….. complicated for much of pollution is caused by objects and activities that (c) …………. mankind. Two–thirds (d) ………..Delhi’s appalling atmospheric pollution is caused (e) ……………vehicles which are (f) ………….. to be necessities of life.
Q 6. Rearrange the following jumbled words to form meaningful sentences.
The first one is done for you .
Example : of/animals /with/concerned/large/children’s books/proportions/is/a
Answer: A large proportion of children’s books is concerned with animals.
2. stories/a/all/have been/animal/ favourite /groups/with/age
3. young/kids/ humanized /the /stories/animal/like/and/enjoy/the /most
Literature Textbook and Long Reading Text
Q.8 Read the give extract carefully and answer the questions that follow:
But suddenly that part of him that was left behind
Convulsed in undignified haste
Writhed like Lightning, and was gone
Into the black hole, the earth-lipped fissure in the wall-front,
At which, in the intense still noon, I stared with fascination.
And immediately, I regretted it.
a) Which part of the snake convulsed in undignified haste?
b) Why did the poet stare at the snake with fascination?
c) Which word in the given extract means the same as ‘to feel sorry’?
This was the most unkindest cut of all;
For when the noble Caesar saw him stab,
Ingratitude, more strong than traitors’ arms,
Quite vanquish’d him: then burst his mighty heart;
a) Who is the speaker of these lines ?
b) Why was the cut ‘most unkindest’?
c) Which word in the given extract means the same as ‘defeated’?
Q.9 Answer the following questions in 30-40 words
All questions are compulsory
1. Describe the past of Patol Babu as an actor.?
2. What had happened to Sebastian Shultz ?How was he at present?
3. What message does the poet want to convey in the poem Ozymandias?
4. Bring out the significance of the words- ‘Et Tu Brute’
5. Why did the poet hit the snake with a log?
Q.10 Answer any one of the following questions of your choice in 80-100 words.
“Here are some opinions about computer games in general.
◊ Encourage sedentary life style.
◊ The games are addictive.
◊ Detach one from reality.
◊ Psychological imbalance.
◊ Reduce social skills
Imagine you are Sebastian Schultz .You had a close brush with death. You return to school after your recovery .Your teacher has asked you to write an article for the school Display Board /Blog for the school website warning students about ill effects of virtual reality games
.Write the article /blog in about 80-100 words. Give it a Catchy heading.
In the poem Snake, D.H Lawerence says,
“And I thought of the albatross
And I wished he would come back, my snake.”
He feels that his act of hitting the snake with a clumsy log was equally despicable just
as the Ancient Mariner’s act of killing of the Albatross .It is a sin to kill harmless
birds and animals. Comment.( 80-100 words)
LONG READING TEXT
(Attempt any one )
Q.11 She was an outspoken suffragist, an advocate of worker's rights and an opponent of child labor’ Describe what kind of causes and charities did Helen advocate highlighting the above statement.
What significance did the narrator attach to Miss Anne Sullivan in her life ? Also give her character description.
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 10 English Sample Paper 2018 with Answers Set G
Click for more English Study Material ›