SECTION - A
Q.No. 1. Read the passage given below:
Evolution has designated vultures to be the ultimate scavengers. Enormous wingspans allow them to circle in the air for hours. Their beaks, while rather horrifying, are weak by bird standards, made to scoop and eat flesh. However unappealing they may seem, vultures serve an important role in the ecological cycle: processing dead bodies of animals. Only 20 years ago, India had plenty of vultures—flocks so enormous they arkened the skies. But by 1999, their numbers had dropped due to a mysterious kidney ailment. By 2008, 99.9 percent of India’s vultures were gone. It was finally discovered that they had been killed by a drug called diclofenac (a pain reliever along the lines of aspirin or ibuprofen). Indians revere their cows, and when a cow showed signs of pain, they treated it with diclofenac. After the animal died, the vultures would eat the corpse. And though they boast perhaps the world’s most efficient digestive system, vultures cannot digest the drug.
India banned the use of diclofenac for veterinary use in 2006, but it’s still widely used. The near extinction of vultures has caused a disease in the country, as rats and dogs moved in to take their place—spreading pathogens that would have otherwise been destroyed by the vultures Vultures need large ranges to scan for food and undisturbed areas in which to nest. They also need an abundance of prey species since they rely more on chance than their own hunting skills to eat. All of these things have been reduced by human activity. Meanwhile, there is a dramatic increase in secondary poisoning. Vultures feed on carcasses laced with poison, intended to kill jackals or other predatory carnivores. Or they are poisoned by the lead in animals left behind by hunters.
On the basis of your reading of the passage answer the following questions briefly:
a. Who are the natural scavengers?
b. How do the special beaks and wings/ work?
c. How did their numbers decrease?
d. Why do we need these ‘scavengers’?
e. Why do vultures need more prey ?
f. Why are the dead bodies laced with poison?
g. What is ‘secondary poisoning’?
h. Give any two factors responsible for the death of vultures?
2 Read the passage given below:
1. Children in India live in diverse circumstances and have diverse needs and rights. Along with their need to be educated, healthy and skillful, they need, and have rights to adequate nutrition, to live in a safe and supportive environment, have opportunities to reach their optimal potential and generally lead healthy, joyful and fulfilling lives so that they can be productive and well adjusted citizens of tomorrow.
2. Children in our country face many challenges. Many of them are first generation learners and face myriad problems throughout their schooling. They, due to the socio-economic and cultural determinants may be vulnerable in many ways. Peer pressure and lack of positive role models may prompt them to make unsafe and unhealthy choices. Anxiety and depression amongst the students, to the point of turning them suicidal, have been a cause of concern in the recent past.
3. Girls are more vulnerable and face discrimination at many levels from being unwelcome since birth to being pulled out of school for a variety of reasons. Dropping out of school, low motivation for academics and general disinterest in sports and physical activities too are some of the problems that need to be addressed. Child malnutrition is rampant in most parts of the country. This has an adverse bearing on their cognitive capacities, learning performance and physical capacity.
4. Our children have a right to age appropriate education, skills building, a safe and supportive environment, positive role models, mpowerment, and friendly health services and counseling. Well informed and skilled children are likely to make better decisions concerning not only their careers and relationships, habits, physical and mental health, but will be successful and an asset to the society.
5. They also need to understand and deal with emerging issues like newly available career choices, pollution, water and energy conservation, global warming, protection of environment, terrorism and disasters. Dealing with anxiety and depression, negative peer pressure, violence, accidents, are some other significant issues that impact individuals health and also the social, economic and health indicators of the country. Gender sensitivity, prevention of female infanticide and good parenting are some important social issues that all children need to understand. Children require guidance and assistance - both covert and overt- from their Parents, Teachers, peers and society in general to complete the various "tasks" of development and deal with such issues.
On the basis of your reading of the passage answer the following questions:
a. What makes girls’ lives more challenging?
b. How does malnutrition affect the children ?
c. How are well informed children better than the other children?
d. What are the social issues which the children have to deal with?
e. Identify the meaning of the word :- ‘a great number’ (para2 )
1. Vulnerable, 2. Determinant ,3. Myriad 4. Peer pressure
f. Identify a word which means same as”easily hurt” (para 3)
1. Vulnerable 2. Discrimination 3. Malnutrition 4.Motivation
g. Identify a word which means the same as ‘a valuable person or thing’(para 4)
1.Appropriate 2. Asset 3.Adverse 4. Cognitive
h. Identify a word which means the opposite of ‘ covered’ (para 5)
1. Covert 2. Overt 3.Energy 4. Conservation.
WRITING and GRAMMAR
3 You are Ajeet / Anika, a student of S.M. Public School, Delhi . You are concerned about the water crisis which has become very dangerous .Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper highlighting the need to provide water in drought hit areas and the dire need of creating awareness about the conservation of water through informative posters.
You are Naman /Nalini .You feel that some of your friends are leading a life which is very harmful for their health as they use whats app all the time and waste a lot of their valuable time. They prefer living alone in their rooms and do not communicate with the members of the family or relatives Write an article on 'Importance of Time Management” ' (100 -120 words )
4 Complete the story in about 150 -200 words -----
My mother asked me to go to the market in the evening. Initially first I wanted to avoid but then thinking she needed milk for my little brother I left home reluctantly. I reached the market and was about to pay money for the milk, when suddenly I saw a ----------------------------------.
5 Read the passage given below and fill in the blanks by using the most appropriate word:-.
I was touched (e.g.) when I saw my neighbours sending off their son.I could understand their pain (a )-------------- their only son leaving
home . It is always a difficult time for parents (b) -----------it is also inevitable. How long can you keep the birds in cages (c) ----------- their
wings are strong and they are ready to fly.
6 The following passage has not been edited. There is an error in each line against which a blank has been given. Write the incorrect word and the correction in your answer sheet against the correct blank number as given in the example. Remember to underline the word that you have supplied.
7 Rearrange the following words or phrases into meaningful sentences. One has been done for you as an example.
Red cross day / an / become /day / the / in /important /world /of / history / has Red cross day has become an/important day in the history of the world
A. Celebrated /plays /annually /it / role / is / big /the /saving /to /in /lives /
B. Due / war / aims/ human beings / it / relief /distress / to /provide /the /in/to
C. this day/Various/ to celebrateare / held . /programmes /in the schools
Literature Text Books and Long Reading Text
8 Read the extracts given below and answer the questions that follow:
The leaves strain towards the glass
Small twigs stiff with exertion
Long cramped boughs shuffling under the roof
Like newly discharged patients
Half dazed ,moving
To the clinic doors.
a. Why are the leaves and boughs tired?
b. Why does the poet compare the boughs with the patients?
c. Identify the figures of speech used in these lines.
An elderly woman came and sat beside her
.”Are you all alone dear ?”she asked Valli as the bus started again .
Valli found the woman absolutely repulsive-such big holes in her ear lobes,and such ugly earrings in them ! And she could smell the betel
nut the woman was chewing and see the betel juice that was threatening to spill over her lips at any moment Ugh!-who could be sociable with such a person?
“Yes I am travelling alone ,”she answered curtly, “and I’ve got a ticket too .”
“Yes,she’s on her way to town .”,said the conductor .”With a thirty paise ticket.”
“Oh ,why don't you mind your own business.”
a) Why did the elderly woman come to sit near Valli?
b) Valli’s dislike the for elderly woman? Briefly explain.
c) Conductor makes fun of Valli. Give a reason.
9 Answer the following questions in 30-40 words each.
a. Why did Kisa go to Gautam Buddha?
b. What was Lomov's opinion about Squeezer?
c. How was Ebright an all-rounder?
d. Why did the children make fun of Bholi at school?
10 Answer the following question in about 80 - 100 words--
What was the main cause for Matilda's ruin? How could you help her save bherself, if you were her friend?
Describe the narrator’s meeting with Lutkins’mother. 4
11(A) Answer the following question in about 100-120 words:--
What is Anne's advice when one is reeling under melancholy?
The people inside the annexe were always terrified. Describe their condition when they feared being discovered.
11(B) Answer the following question in about 100-120 words:--
Why was Helen withdrawn from the Gilman School and how did she further pursue here education?
What happened as a result of the plagiarizing incident for Helen? what was the effect of this event on her life? each question.
SECTION - A
Q.No. 1. One mark each for correct answer.
b. The beak to scoop from the dead bodies of the animals and wide wing span to be able to move in the air for a longer time.
c. killed by a drug called diclofenac
d. Vultures serve an important role in the ecological cycle: processing dead bodies of animals.
e. They also need an abundance of prey species since they rely more on chance than their own hunting skills to eat
f. The dead bodies are laced with poison to kill jackals
g. they are poisoned by the lead in animals left behind by hunters.
h. the use of diclofenac for veterinary use and Vultures feed on carcasses laced with poison
2 Two marks for each correct answer:-
a. Girls are face discrimination at many levels from being unwelcome since birth to being pulled out of school for a variety of reasons.
b. Malnutrition has an adverse bearing on their cognitive capacities, learning performance and physical capacity.
c. They are likely to make better decisions concerning not only their careers and relationships, habits, physical and mental health, but will
be successful and an asset to the society.
d. Newly available career choices, pollution, water and energy conservation, global warming, protection of environment, terrorism and disasters.
One mark for each correct answer
WRITING and GRAMMAR
a) Format-- writer's address, receiver's address, date, subject,
salutation and complementary close -------------------
b) Content --------
c) c) Expression----- Coherence and relevance, Spelling ,grammatical accuracy
• Water crisis- dried wells , all other water resources dried up
• Scarcity of drinking water
• No water supply in the area
• Suggestions :-- regular water supply through water tankers
• Long term goals of reviving water bodies
• Digging of the dried wells deeper
• Planting of trees
• Awareness programmes
• Students wasting their time in whats app
• Poor communication skills
• No contact with the other family members
• Spoiling their future plans
• Suggestions for time management :--
• Should follow their routine strictly.
• Should know the value of time
• Whats App will lead them nowhere.
4. Story writingContent --------------- The students will write a story on the basis of the beginning of the story
Expression ----- creativity , originality,Fluency ,cohesiveness and relevance Spellings, grammatical accuracy
5 One mark for each correct answer
c. When /if
6 One mark for each correct answer
7 One mark for each correct answer
a. It is Celebrated annually for playing a big role in /saving the lives
b. It aims to provide relief to human beings in distress due to war
c. Various programmes are held to celebrate this day in the schools
Literature Text Books and Long Reading Text
a) Because they try hard to go out of the closed room
b) Because they are quite weak and not fresh.
c) Like newly discharged patients-- ALLITERATION
a. She felt that she was travelling all alone.
b. she could smell the betel nut the woman was chewing and see the betel
juice that was threatening to spill over her lips at any moment
c. Because Valli had spoken rudely to the conductor and was taking pride in travelling alone.
9 Two marks for each correct answer:-
a. To request him to give life bac to her son.
b. Squeezer was inferior to Guess ,his own dog and that he was an over shot.
c. Ebright was not only good in science and academics but also in games.
d. She had poke marks on her face and looked quite ugly
10 Content ----
Cause of Matilda's ruin--
Her desire to look pretty
Her nature of borrowing
Her carelessness at the ball room
Her simplicity --not to know the cost before paying the money
How to help her save herself from the ruin
Ask her not to borrow jewellery
Make her feel that she looked extremely beautiful in her dress.
Giving my own jewellery
Help her more money
Ask her to find out the cost from her friend
She shouted at him .
She knew the secret that Lutkins was be- fooling the narrator
She ran after to hit him .
It was quite disappointing .
11(A) Content 5 marks
Anne very sensible and intelligent
Mature enough to judge
Was a victim to tension, stress, and trouble
Advises others to think about the misery of others
Advises to go outside in the fields and enjoy nature
Think of all the beauty
They knew the consequences of being discovered
They got news of the people being tortured in concentration camp.
They had to be hidden. They became very nervous.
They even fall ill .
Their teeth chattered
They slept huddled in a corner.
11(B) Helen did not like the school , fell ill.
Though some changes were made for her ,it didnot help her at all.
She was unable to appear in the exam
Her mother withdrew her from the school.
Afterwards Mr. Merton S. Keith tutored her
Taught her twice a week
Miss Sullivan interpreted her instructions
Helen was able to learn well.
She lost one of her best friends Mr. Anagnos.
She was brought in front of the court of investigation.
She felt this very rude and menacing.
The whole experience was very traumatic
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 10 English Sample Paper 2018 with Answers Set F
Click for more English Study Material ›