SECTION A (READING)
1 Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow :
(1) Mother Teresa was born in 1910 in a city which is now called Skopje and is the capital of the Republic of Macedonia. Her birth name was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu. Her father died when she was eight and she was raised by her mother. She was raised as a Roman Catholic and decided to devote her life to God at a young age. She joined the Sisters of Loreto at the age of 18 to become a missionary to India. She first had to learn English. So she went to Ireland to learn English at the Loreto Abby.
(2) A year later she started her missionary work in Darjeeling, India. She learned the local language, Bengali, and taught at the local school. She soon took her first vows as a nun and took the name Teresa. She taught for many years in India becoming the headmistress at a school in eastern Calcutta.
(3) When she was 36 years old she felt the call from God to help the poor of India. She received some basic medical training and then set out to help the sick and needy. This wasn't an easy task in 1948 India. She had very little support and, while trying to feed and help the poorest of the poor, she herself was constantly hungry and even had to beg for food.
(4) Soon other women joined her and she formed the Missionaries of Charity. Mother Teresa described the purpose of the Missionaries of Charity as an organization to take care of "the hungry, the naked, the homeless, the crippled, the blind, the lepers, all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared for in society".
(5) It wasn't an easy task to build such an organization and to keep the focus on the poorest people. In 1979, Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitutes a threat to peace. She was beatified in 2003, the first step on the path to sainthood, within the Catholic church. She worked almost up until her death on September 5, 1997.
(a) Where was Mother Teresa born ?
(b) Why was she raised by her mother ?
(c) Why did join the Sisters of Loreto ?
(d) When did The change her name to Teresa ?
(e) At the age of 36 what did she do to help the poor in India ?
(f) What hardships did she face while helping the poor ?
(g) What the Missionaries of Charity do ?
(h) What is being beatified ?
Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
The Vedic scriptures are the spiritual literature of the ancient Indian culture, written in the Sanskrit language. They comprise a huge collection of books which include material (mundane), religious (ritualistic) as well as spiritual (monotheistic) knowledge The Veda may be understood by simply accepting what the Veda says about itself. Since the Vedic self-understanding may be amazing or even unbelievable to the modern reader, it seems important to dedicate a few sentences to the clarification of probable misunderstandings. The different opinions about the origin and history of the Vedic scriptures are due to the fundamental difference of world-views between the followers of the Veda and modern mundane scholars. According to the Indological world-view, such a thing as "Vedic scripture" doesn't even exist. The collection of books mentioned in the beginning of this article is not a consistent body of knowledge—modern Indology says—but a mere accumulation of texts from different sources, written over a long period of time, starting about 1000 or 1500 B.C., after the hypothetical Aryan invasion into the Indian Subcontinent. Only then, a "Vedic" culture was formed through the mixture of tribes. If we believe this scenario, then it is natural to think that the Indian scriptures are nothing but a mass of unsystematic mythological texts. Needless to say that the Vedic scriptures themselves maintain a completely different version. They refer to very ancient cultures, timeless revelations and divine incarnations. They also say that the entire body of Vedic knowledge has a systematic structure and a clearly defined goal, being compiled by the great Vedic Rishis (seers and sages), headed by Vyasadeva, about five thousand years ago. This knowledge was then systematically put into a written form in order to prevent it from being lost during in the upcoming age, which was foreseen as the Kali-yuga, the Iron Age, the most fallen in the cycle of ages.
(a) Name the three kinds of knowledge contained in the Vedic scriptures ?
(b) How can the Veda be understood ?
(c) What is the Indological world view ?
(d) How was the ‘Vedic’ culture formed ?
(e) What is the opposite of the word, ‘ancient’ ? (para 1)
(i) real (ii) modern
(iii) imaginary (iv) historical
(f) What is meant by the word, ‘opinions’ ? (para 2)
(i) views (ii) truths
(iii) status (iv) trustees
(g) What is meant by the word, ‘entire’ ? (para 4)
(i) empty (ii) complete
(iii) honest (iv) true
(h) What is meant by the word, ‘prevent’ ? (para 4)
(i) submit (ii) trust
(iii) check (iv) count
SECTION B (WRITING& GRAMMAR)
3 You are Arun/Aarti, 112 Bank Street Agra. In 100-120 words, write a letter to the Editor, of a national daily, sharing your ideas on the subject - It's better to have two pen and paper tests in a year than to undergo round the year evaluation.
4 Write a story on the hints given below in about 150-200 words. Give it a suitable title. ' I stole the car keys from my father's drawer- drove at a high speed- caught by the traffic police...'
5 Complete the following paragraph by choosing the appropriate options from the ones given below. Write your answers in the answer sheet against the correct blank numbers. Do not copy the entire paragraph. Baking developed(a) ______ an industry using machinery. In the United States, the baking industry was built(b) ______ marketing methods and production techniques developed(c) ______ the Romans. I II III IV (a) on to into for (b) on at for across (c) of off through by
6 The following paragraph has not been edited. There is one error in each line. Write the error and the correction in your answer sheet against the correct blank number. The first one has been done as an example. Error Correction The year 2012 marks the 50th anniversary for e.g. for of the James Bond films. A first James Bond (a) _____ _____ movie title, ‘Dr. No’ was released in 1962. (b) _____ _____ Numerous events was held for fans (c) _____ _____ over the world. (d) _____ _____
7 Rearrange the following words/phrases to make meaningful sentences. (a) the age/ of/ must/drive/below/children/not/eighteen years (b) own/helmets/we/protection/wear/our/for/must (c) mobile/used/not/phones/driving/while/be/must
SECTION C (LITERATURE& LONG READING TEXT)
Read one of the extracts given below and answer the questions that follow:
8 "The whole universe is built up through love and the grief of separation is inescapable". (a) When did the speaker acquire this philosophy ? (b) What pain has the speaker gone through ? (c) What does the word, ‘inescapable’ mean ?
Now the frog puffed up with rage. “Brainless bird-you’re on the stage- Use your wits and follow fashion. Puff your lungs out with your passion”. (a) Why was the frog puffed up with rage ? (b) Give the antonym of ‘Brainless’ ? (c) What happened when the nightingale puffed up her lungs ?
Answer the following questions in about 30 - 40 words.
9(i) What brought about a shift in the postmaster’s attitude towards Ali ?
9(ii) What does the woman search for in the mirror everyday ?
9(iii) What are the three things that the grandfather planned to do on Monday ?
9(iv) Why did Mrs. Packletide give up big-game shooting ?
Answer one of the following questions in about 80-100 words.
10 'The two boys were an epitome of perseverance and dedication’. Elaborate with reference to the story, ‘Two Gentlemen of Verona’.
‘The Frog did not recognise the nightingale’s talents. With reference to the poem, ‘ The Frog and the Nightingale’ discuss why it is important to have respect for other individuals and their talent.
Answer one of the following questions in about 150-200 words.
11 What tells you that Anne was not a meek girl ? Discuss, giving examples from ‘Diary of a Young Girl’.
Why could not Anne develop a healthy relationship with Mr. Van Daan?
Do you feel Anne suffered from low self esteem ? Give a reasoned answer.
What is the significance of the role played by Helen's mother in Helen's life ? Write a brief character sketch of Helen's mother.
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 10 English Sample Paper 2017 Set D
Click for more English Study Material ›