CBSE Class 8 Science - Metals & non metals. Students are advised to refer to the attached assignments and practice them regularly. This will help them to identify their weak areas and will help them to score better in examination. Parents should download and give the assignments to their children for practice.
(Topic-Metals & non metals)
Q 1Fill in the blanks
1 .Except---------------nonmetals do not react with air at ordinary temperature.
2 .A more active nonmetal displace a less active nonmetals from its _________ in solution
3 .Plants use nitrogen to manufacture____________.
4 .liquid_____________ is used to burn rocket fuel.
5 ____________used in the manufacture of pesticides like Gammexane.
6 with acetylene oxygen is used in-_________torches to cut & weld metal
7 Alloys of silver & tin with mercury is known as____________.
Q2 complete the following equations.
1. C (red hot)+H₂O(steam)→____+_____
2. 2C+O₂ →(Ignition)→________
3. Cl₂+2 H₂O→(Sunlight)→________+_______
4. Mg(hot)+H₂O(steam) →________+______
Q3 Define the following terms
1. Metallic clink
4. Activity series
6. Halogen family
7. Noble gases
Q 4 Give reasons for the following
1 Silver & gold are called noble metals.
2 To prevent rusting iron is often galvanized.
3 Nylon or jute ropes can’t be used as electrical transmission.
4. We can’t use utensils made of cardboard.
5. We can’t draw wires from coal or wood.
6. Why white phosphorus is stored under water.
7. Nitrogen is used for filling food packages.
Q 5 Answer the following in not more than 20 words.
1. Name any ten metals.
2. Name five non metals which are gaseous at ordinary temperatures.
3. Mention three uses of carbon.
4. Mention three uses of sulphur.
5. What is tincture of iodine?
Q.6. Answer the following in not more than 30 words.
1. Mention five physical characteristics of metals.
2. Mention five physical characteristics of nonmetals.
3. Mention three uses of metals giving reasons
4. Describe three uses of chlorine.
5. Define an alloy, explain with three examples.
Q.7. Answer the following in not more than 100 words.
1. How would you use the active series while studying the displacement of hydrogen from acid by metals?
2. Describe an activity to show that the ‘lead’ of a pencil conducts electricity but a piece of sulphur does not.
3. Write three chemical properties of metals with chemical equations.
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 8 Science - Metals & non metals
Click for more Science Study Material ›