A factual description is the detailed description of the physical attributes of the object as it appears to the onlooker with the special features included.
There are three main types of factual description. They are-
• Description of an object.
• Description of a person.
• Description of an event.
• Topic sentence: It is the sentence which introduces the main idea of the paragraph.
• Supporting details: They come after the topic sentence, making up the body of the description. They give details to develop and support the main idea.
• Closing sentence: This is the last sentence. It restates the main idea and sums up the thoughts using different words.
• A simple description of features or characteristics of the topic.
• Avoid giving your opinion. Stick to the facts, not your interpretation of them. Use short concise sentences. Be specific. State only known facts, not speculation.
• For example, if you see smoke, but not a fire you can state there was smoke. You cannot state there was fire.
• Use relating verbs to define, describe and classify.
• The word limit is of 80-100 words.
• Physical description is of the utmost importance.
• Some of the important characteristics to be mentioned :
1. SAMPLE: OBJECT SCHOOL BAG
A bag used for carrying school essentials is called a school bag. Every school - going child carries it to school. Bags come in various brands, shapes ,colours and material but it’s our choice, to select the type we want to suit our needs. Every bag has a shoulder padded belt which can be adjusted for easy back support. Bags are made durable for long, rough useand are washable too. Bags are chosen accordingly with the number of sections, to carry the books according to size, tiffin and water bottle. The inner pockets of the bag have smaller zipped pockets, to keep the stationary and other things. A school bag can also be used for travelling and picnics.
2. SAMPLE: PERSON Bollywood Star- Nassiruddin Shah
Nassuriddin Shah is a film celebrity of world acclaim. He has made a name for himself as an actor of great repute. He’s an old graduate from National School of Drama, New Delhi. He has acted in more than 250 films and in around 100 plays. He is a versatile actor with class. He’s a leading figure of the New Wave Cinema of 70s and 80s called Art Cinema. He proved his talent in films like ‘ Nishant,’ ‘Annkur,’ ‘Paar.’ And ‘Jane Bhi Do Yaaro’. He also proved his talent in commercial cinema like ‘ China Gate’. He has a special liking for acting in plays and a passion for travel. Nassiruddin Shah is a recipient of the‘ Film fare Award’ and the ‘Screen Award’ for his powerful performances.
3. SAMPLE EVENT Tree Plantation Day
Nirmala Convent School, Nainital celebrated a ‘Tree Plantation Day’ on 15th June, 2013. It was celebrated to inform and impress the young students with the importance of trees in our life. Every year our forests are being destroyed. As a nation we love to talk but pay scant attention to the plantation of trees in keeping the environment clean, fresh and bringing the rains. Thousands of trees are felled for buildings and firewood. To mark this auspicious day the Green Ambassadors decorated each classroom with floral and leafy saplings planted and adopted by them. They even named the saplings after themselves. Later, the school organized a drawing and poster display competition. The theme for the competition was ‘Save Earth, Save Mankind’ a tree plantation campaign and planted a number of herbal and medicinal plants in the school premises. Chief Guest in his address highlighted the importance of planting trees and said unless we are sincere in respecting our trees; we cannot have a healthy world.
1. Write a factual description on your wrist watch.
2. Write a factual description about your younger brother/sister.
3. You recently celebrated your birthday with a grand party. Describe this event giving the relevant details in 80 - 100 words.
Please click on below link to download CBSE Class 9 English Factual Description Worksheet