How I Taught My Grandmother To Read
Theme : Age is no bar for learning. A strong determination, the will to work and confidence innoneself can help one accomplish even the impossible. The story also deals with the myth of the generation gap and the liberation of women through education.
Message : The message conveyed through this story is that a teacher, irrespective of age or gender, deserves respect. One should always be grateful to a teacher who leads one from darkness to light.
I. Read the given extracts and answer the following questions briefly.
1. “Secretly I bought Kashi Yatre which had been published as a novel by that time. My grandmother called me to the pooja place and made me sit down on a stool.”
a) On what occasion was the narrator called to the pooja place? By whom?
b) What surprise had the narrator planned for her student? What did it help her to know?
c) The reverse had happened today. It was not correct? Explain .
2. “I was to embarrassed to do so. I felt so very dependent and helpless.”
a) Name the speaker. What had the speaker wanted to do?
b) What did the speaker regret? How had she tried to fulfill the need then?
c) What decision had the speaker taken? Why?
3. “For a good cause if you are determined, you can overcome any obstacle. I
I will work harder than anybody but I will do it. For learning there is no age bar.”
a) What ‘Good cause’ is referred to in this context? What helped her to do so?
b) How did the speaker plan to achieve it? What did the speaker do to succeed?
c) Who helped the speaker in the above context? What was their age difference?
II. Answer the following questions in 30-40 words each.
1. What hardships had the narrator’s grandmother faced in her life? How had she fulfilled her own dreams within the family?
2. Justify the title ‘ How I taught My Grandmother To Read.’
3. Why is Triveni popular even after forty years of her death?
4. What had the narrator childishly done? Why did she behave in this manner?
5. Krishtakka laid down some conditions for the task she was about to take. She managed to prove herself worthy. Explain.
III. Value Based Long Answer Question. (80-100 words)
A teacher helps to bring the best in her students by her constant encouragement. What was Sudha Murty’s role in the life of her grandmother. How had she managed to help her student pass with flying colours?
IV. Imagine you are Krishtakka. Write a letter to your son telling him about your great achievement and the happiness of now being able to read and write the Kannada language. ( 120- 150 words )
V. Narrate Sudha Murty’s experience in the pooja place on the day of the Dassara festival in 80- 100 words.
Please click on below link to download CBSE Class 9 English How I Taught my Grandmother to Read Worksheet