A. In each the following sentences supply a verb in agreement with its subject :
- The cost of all these articles _________risen.
- That night every one of the boat’s crew _________ down with fever.
- One or the other of those fellows ____________ stolen the watch.
- No news _____________good news.
- The accountant and the cashier r __________ absconded.
- A good man and useful citizen ______passed away.
- Each of the suspected men ________ arrested.
- The add and flow of the tides________ explained by Newton.
- Neither his father nor his mother _________alive.
- Two –thirds of the city __________in ruins.
- Man’s happiness or misery________ in a great measure in his own
- The cow as well as the horse __________ _grass.
- The three Musketeers __________written by Dumas.
- Ninety rupees___________ too much for this bag.
- To take pay and then not to do work_______ dishonesty.
B. There is an error in each of the lines of the passage given below. Write the incorrect word and the corrections against the correct blank number. Remember to underline the word that you have supplied.
The sage of the educational institutions are turning bitter. (a)___________________ IITians has reacted with shock after the union HRD minister (b)__________________ have raised questions about the quality of the IITs comparing the (c) ___________________ II Ts to the University of Roorkee were like comparing.1000c.c (d) ___________________ bikes to 100 c.c bikes “says students of I.I.T. Kanpur .”No other (e) ________________ institution can drem of doing what IITs has done,” claims (f)__________ a senior professor. Other faculty members point out the ( g)_____________ contribution of the institutes to the country’s defence and space programmes in the end it boil down to a question of quality versus quantity. (h)________
C. Fill in the blanks with the corrector of the verb given in the brackets.
Vivek has gone to the bank. He (a) ………… (want) to take out some money. First he (b) ………(have) to fill in a form for a new cheque book, as all the cheque in the old book (c) ………… (has) already been used. He (d) ………… (make) out a cheque for the amount he (e) ………… (inform) him about the ATM and E-Banking which (g) ………….. (be) introduced shortly. The manager as well as counter clerks (h) …………… (try) to persuade him to go infor an ATM card.
D. The following passage has not been edited. There is one error in each of the lines. Write the incorrect word and the correction against the correct blank number. Remember to underline the word that you have supplied’.
- The floods in Orissa are a lifetime.
- Experience for the peoples of the state. It will
- Take them year to come out of it. Some
- People have been rendered homeless. They has
- Lost everything they had. There are no hope For the future. The government’s procedure regarding
- Rehabilitations are very slow and also
- This have led to lot of frustration
- Among the masses. Inspite of fund pouring in, It is sad to note that timely succour is not being provided to the people.
A. I has ii. Was iii. Has iv. Is v. have vi. Has vii. is/was viii. Was ix. Is x. is xi. Is xii. Eats
B. (a) are is (b). has have (c) have has (d) were was (e) says say (f) has have (g) points point (h) boil boils
C (a) wants b. has c. have d. makes e. thinks inform g. is being h. tries.