1. Sophie flits from one dream to another. What trait of hers is brought out by this action?
2. What made her dissatisfied with her life?
3. The unknown things are always a fascination for human beings. How is it true in the case of Sophie?
4. When Geoff queried whether she told their father about meeting Danny Casey, why was she chastened?
5. Does father believe his daughter’s encounter with Danny Casey? If not, why?
6. What made her heave a sigh of relief when she knew that Geoff had not divulged all what she said?
7. How has Geoff helped in developing her fantasy about Danny Casey?
1. Fantasy is a pleasant relief at times but at times it can takes a serious turn, which may prove detrimental to mental growth. . Elucidate with reference to the text focusing on the negative impact of fantasizing?
2. Sophie aspires for a romantic touch in her relationship with Danny Casey. What is the root cause of her imagination running wild?
3. What in your opinion is the reason behind her weaving a fantasy, is it a crush for an ace footballer or is it the love for glamour of a celebrity, if not at least the glamour of a person associated with a celebrity.
More Important Questions For CBSE Class 12 English HOTs Going Places........
1. Why is Sophie attracted to Danny Casey ? Ans.
Sophie is attracted to Danny Casey because he is a famous young Irish football player, who played for the United. Soaphie’s attraction for the sports star can be seen as hero-worship by the adolescent girl.
2. Which was the only occasion when Sophie got to see Danny Casey in person?
Ans. The only occasion when Sophie got to see Danny Casey in person was on Saturday when she, her father and two brothers went to watch the United play at the stadium.
3. How different is Jansie from Sophie?
Ans. Sophie and Jansie are classmates and friends. They belong to lower middle class families. Jansie thinks that they both are earmarked for biscuit factory. While Jansie seems to have no unrealistic dreams, her friend, Sophie, is a daydreamer. She wants to own a boutique when she grows up. Jansie, who is practical and a realistic person, reminds Sophie that it takes a lot of money to own a boutique. Sophie, on the other hand, is fickle minded. She says that she will get a high paying job of a manager or become an actress because they get paid a lot. Sophie shares her dream of becoming an actress/designer/boutique owner with her friend Jansie, which only saddens her. A worldlywise Jansie warns Sophie against such far-fetched and unachievable dreams and is content with her reality, whereas Sophie wants to escape hers and find contentment outside, in a world, which is full of mystery and adventure. Sophie’s adolescent fantasising about having a grand and promising future and hero-worship of Danny Casey stands in total contrast to Jansie’s groundedness and practical temperament.
4. Draw a character sketch of Sophie’s father.
Ans. Sophie’s father belonged to lower middle class. Nevertheless, he was like any other father. He was a hard working man with a realistic approach towards life. He came across as an overweight, dishevelled man, wearing his dirty and sweaty vest, hogging shepherd’s pie. He was not able to provide much for his family because of which the family always had to face money constraints and hardships. He is a practical man, who does not entertain his daughter’s fantasies. He does not believe Sophie when she says that she has met Danny Casey. He dismisses her by calling it one of her ‘wild stories’. He wants Sophie to be a hard working and worldly-wise girl. He himself is an ardent fan of football and pays a weekly visit to the stadium to watch the game.
5. Every teenager has a hero/heroine to admire. So many times they become role models for them. What is wrong if Sophie fantasises about Danny Casey and is ambitious in life?
Ans. Every teenager has a hero or an idol to admire. So, many times they become role models for them. Sophie is one such teenager filled with boundless enthusiasm and ambitions. She wants to lead a sophisticated life. However, she is not a headstrong girl, who is determined to do things her own way and work hard to pursue her dreams. Instead, she appears to be fickle minded changing her aspirations without giving them much thought. She might even appear unrealistic and impractical on some instances because she prefers her world of fantasy over her reality. Her family is poor and cannot provide all the needed resources to fulfil her fantasises. Her hero-worship is limited to her infatuation with Danny Casey. She fantasises and lies about their somewhat romantic meeting rather than drawing inspiration from his dedication and hard work to achieve his dreams.