I. Given below is a set of instructions for making strawberry smoothie. On the basis of the instructions complete the following paragraph.
a) Take strawberry pulp and sugar
b) Mix them nicely using a mixer-grinder.
c) Add a cup of smooth yogurt and ice-cubes into this mixture.
d) Blend all the ingredients well.
e) Pour the smoothie into tall glasses.
f) Arrange a straw with a strawberry fan and serve immediately.
Strawberry pulp and sugar (a)_________.They (b)__________nicely in a mixer-grinder. Yogurt and ice-cubes(c)_____________ to this mixture. All the ingredients (d)_________ well. The smoothie (e)__________into tall glasses . A straw (f)_________with a strawberry fan and is served immediately.
II.Read the instructions for preparing Maggi noodles and fill in the blanks in the present passive form:
• Boil 500 ml of water in a container.
• Add noodles and taste makers.
• Mix finely chopped vegetables.
• Cook the noodles for only two minutes.
• Finally, serve them hot.
First, 500 ml of water a)_____________in a container. After that noodles and taste makers b)______________. Then, finely chopped vegetables c)______________. The noodles d)_____________________for only two minutes. They f)______________ hot.
III. Given below is the process for making tea. Read the instructions and complete the passage by filling up the blanks. Do not add any new information.
- The first one has been done for you.
- Boil two cups of water in a vessel.
- Add two teaspoons of tea leaves to it.
- Remove the vessel from the fire and cover with a lid.
- Keep it aside for a minute or two.
- Strain the brew into a cup.
- Add milk and sugar to taste.
- Stir the contents thoroughly.
- The tea is ready.
Two cups of water (a) are boiled in a vessel. Once the water boils, two teaspoons of tea leaves (b) ____________to it. The vessel(c)_________from the fire and (d) ______with a lid and e) ___________for two minutes. The brew (f)__________into
a cup, milk and sugar (g) to taste and the contents (h) _________The tea is now ready to be drunk.
IV. Read the instructions for washing dirty, white cotton clothes and fill in the blanks in the present passive form:
• Collect all dirty white cotton clothes
• Soak them in hot water and stain removing solution
• Put them in the washing machine with whitening detergent
• Select the setting for cotton clothes
• Turn on the rinse and spin option
• Take out the clothes and hang them on the clothesline.
All the dirty white cotton clothes a)_______________. They b)_______________in the boiling water and stain removing solution. The clothes c)______________in the washing machine with whitening detergent. The setting for cotton clothes d)_________________. The rinse and spin option e)_____________on. Finally, the washed clothes are taken out and hung on the clothesline.
V. Given below is a set of instructions for making vegetable cutlets. On the basis of instructions complete the following paragraph.
a) Boil potatoes, peas and carrots.
b) Mash the boiled vegetables in a big bowl.
c) Add other seasonings such as salt, red chilly powder and garam masala.
d) Chop onions and coriander leaves and add to the mixture.
e) Make heart-shaped cutlets .
f) Roll in bread –crumbs and fry for two minutes.
g) Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
Potatoes, peas and carrots (a) _____________ The boiled vegetables (b)_________ in a big bowl. Seasonings such as salt, chilly powder and garam masala (c) __________. Onion and coriander leaves (d)________and added to the mixture. Heart-shaped cutlets are made. The cutlets (g)_________in bread-crumbs and (h)__________for two minutes. The cutlets are served hot with tomato ketchup.
VI. Read the instructions for manufacturing instant coffee and fill in the blanks in the present passive form:
• Pick coffee beans from the trees and dry in the sun
• Then roast the beans and cool them rapidly
• Mix coffee with hot water and strain the mixture before freezing
• Grind the frozen mixture and dry it in vacuum before packing in jars
First, the coffee beans a)________________ from the trees and dried in the sun. Then, the beans b)______________and cooled rapidly . The beans c)__________ with hot water and the mixture d)______________________ before it is frozen. Finally, the frozen mixture e)_________________ and then dried in a vacuum before it is packed into jars. The coffee is now ready to be sold in shops.
VII. Given below is a set of instructions for washing clothes. Complete the following paragraph which describes how clothes are washed.
- Mix a cup of some good quality detergent powder in about 8 to 10 liters of warm water in a bucket.
- Whisk it well so that the powder dissolves into a rich lather
- Soak dirty clothes in the water
- Leave them for half an hour.
- Rub the clothes with hands.
- Rub a little dry powder on extra dirty parts of the clothes.
- Squeeze the soupy solution out of the clothes.
- Rinse the clothes at least twice in clean water.
- Squeeze out extra water from the clothes and spread them in the sun for drying.
It is very easy to wash clothes. First of all, a cup of some good quality detergent powder
1. _________________ in a bucket. It 2. _____________ rich lather. Next, dirty clothes 3. ____________ half an hour and then the clothes are rubbed with hands. A little dry powder(4. _____________ on extra dirty parts of the clothes. The soupy solution is 5. _____________out of the clothes. The clothes 6. _____________ at least twice in clean water. Finally, extra water 7. _____________for drying.