Read and download free pdf of CBSE Class 9 English Connectors Notes. Students and teachers of Class 9 English can get free advanced study material, revision notes, sure shot questions and answers for Class 9 English prepared as per the latest syllabus and examination guidelines in your school. Standard 9 students should download this study material which will give them more knowledge for all chapters in English and all important topics which are scoring and can get you more marks. Students should also download free pdf of Chapter wise Notes for Class 9 English prepared by school teachers as per the latest NCERT, CBSE, KVS books and syllabus issued this year and also download free worksheets and question papers available here to get higher scores in school exams and tests, also click here for more Study Material for Class 9 English
Connectors are the words that are used to join or connect single words, phrases, clauses or sentences. Words like ‘and’, ‘but’, ‘or’ ,’ so’, ‘yet’, ‘still’ are connectors. E.g.
Slow and steady wins the race.
He is rich but
Words like ‘though’, ‘although’, ‘while’, ‘whereas’, ‘neither’, ‘therefore’, ‘both’,
‘Only’ also come in this category.
Connectors are used for various purposes. They are used for :
e.g. furthermore, in addition, moreover, and
e.g. in the same way, similarly
e.g. while, whereas, but, instead, or
e.g. so that, otherwise, in order to, in case, for
e.g. when, after, as soon as
- Paul can’t walk very fast though he is very tall. (Concession expressed)
- Sandhya likes singing whereas / while her sister likes swimming. (contrast shown)
- The theatre was half empty as / because it was raining heavily. (Reason given)
- An accident happened where the public meeting was going on. (place mentioned)
- The firemen had not arrived when the fire was put out. (Time indicated)
- Sandra can sing as melodiously as any of her classmates. (Comparison made)
- You will feel comfortable if you open all the windows. (Condition to be fulfilled)
- It rained so hard that we could not go out in the evening. (Result given)
- My brother likes to study physics while I enjoy reading English. (contrast shown)
- She decided to take only two meals a day so that / in order that she could reduce her weight. (Purpose expressed