Class XII (Theory)
UNIT 1: NETWORKING AND OPEN STANDARDS
• Networking : a brief overview.
• Communication Media: Wired Technologies - Co-Axial, Ethernet Cable, Optical Fiber, Wireless Technologies - Blue Tooth, Infrared, Microwave, Radio Link, Satelite Link.
• Network Devices : Hub, Switch, Repeater, Gateway and their functions
• Types of Network: LAN, MAN, WAN, PAN
• Network Topologies: Star, Bus, Tree
• Network Protocols: HTTP, TCP/IP, PPP
• Identifying computers and users over a network: Basic concept of domain name, MAC (Media Access Control), and IP Addres, domain name resolution.
• Networking Security: denial of service, intrusion problems, snooping.
Open Source Concepts:
• Open Source Software (OSS), comon FOSS/FLOSS examples (e.g. Gnu/Linux, Firefox, OpenOffice, Java, netbeans, MySQL), common open standards (WWW, HTML, XML, ODF, IP, TCP).
• Indian Language Computing: Character encoding, UNICODE, different types of fonts (open type vs true type, static vs dynamic), Entering Indian Language Text - Phonetic and key map based.
UNIT 2: PROGRAMMING
Review of Class XI;
(Refer to Appendix A for sample guidelines of GUI Programming, and Appendix B for Swing Control Methods & Properties)
Basic concept of Access specifier for classes, Members and methods Basic concept of Inheritance.
Commonly used libraries: String class and methods: toString(), concat(), length(), toLowerCase(), toUpperCase(), trim(), substring()
Math class methods: pow(), round()
Accessing MySQL database using ODBC/JDBC to connect with database.
Web application development: URL, Web Server, Communicating with the web server, concept of Client and Server Side.
HTML based web pages covering basic tags - HTML, TITLE, BODY, H1..H6, Paragraph (P), Line Break (BR), Section Separator (HR), FONT, TABLE, LIST (UL, OL), FORM;
Creating and accessing static pages using HTML and introduction to XML
UNIT 3: RELATIONAL DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Review of RDBMS from Class XI
Concept of Database Transaction, Committing and revoking a Transaction using COMMIT and REVOKE,
Grouping Records: GROUP BY, Group functions - MAX(), MIN(), AVG(), SUM(), COUNT();
using COUNT(*), DISTINCT clause with COUNT, Group Functions and Null Values,
Displaying Data From Multiple Tables: Cartesian product, Union, concept of Foreign Key, Equi- Join
Creating a Table with PRIMARY KEY and NOT NULL constraints, Viewing Constraints, Viewing the Columns Associated with Constraints using DESC Command;
ALTER TABLE for deleting a column, ALTER TABLE for modifying data types of a column For adding a constraint enabling constraints, dropping constraints, DROP Table for deleting a table;
UNIT 4: IT APPLICATIONS
Front-end Interface - Introduction; content and features; identifying and using appropriate component (Text Box, Radio Button, CheckBox, List etc. as learnt in Unit-2 (Programming) for data entry, validation and display;
Back-end Database - Introduction and its purpose; exploring the requirement of tables and its essential attributes;
Front-End and Database Connectivity - Introduction, requirement and benefits Demonstration and development of appropriate Front-end interface and Back-end Database for e- Governance, e-Business and e-Learning applications
Impact of ICT on Society : Social and Economics benefits and Infomania.
Please refer to attached file for CBSE Class 12 Informatics Practices Syllabus 2013-2014
Click for more Informatics Practices Study Material ›