CBSE Class 12 Biotechnology Syllabus 2018 2019. Download the latest syllabus to do your studies as per the latest guidelines issued by CBSE NCERT. The syllabus, weightage of chapters, blue print of question papers and the design of question papers is issued every year for the benefit of students. Access all syllabus for all subjects here.
CLASS XII (2018-19)
One Paper Max. Marks 70+30
Time: 3 hrs.
One paper Time: 3 hrs.
Total Marks : 70 180 Periods
Unit-V Protein and Gene Manipulation 40 Marks 100 Periods
Chapter-1: Recombinant DNA Technology
Introduction, Tool of rDNA technology, Making rDNA, Introduction of recombinant DNA into host cells, Identification of Recombinants, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Hybridization Techniques, DNA Library, DNA Sequencing, Site-directed Mutagenesis
Chapter-2: Protein Structure and Engineering
Introduction to the world of proteins, 3-D shape of proteins, Structure-Function Relationship in Proteins, Purification of Proteins, Characterization of Proteins, Protein Based Products, Designing Proteins (Protein Engineering)
Chapter-3: Genomics, Proteomics and Bioinformatics
Introduction, Genome, Sequencing Projects, Gene prediction and counting, Genome Similarity, SNPs and Comparative Genomics, Functional Genomics, Proteomics, History of Bioinformatics, Sequences and nomenclature, Information Sources, Analysis using Bioinformatics tools
Unit-VI Cell Culture and Genetic Manipulation 30 Marks 80 Periods
Chapter-1: Microbial Cell Culture and its Applications
Introduction, Microbial Nutrition and Culture Techniques, Measurement and Kinetics of Microbial Growth, Scale-up of Microbial Process, Isolation of Microbial Products, Strain Isolation and Improvement, Applications of Microbial Culture Technology, Biosafety Issues in Microbial Technology
Chapter -2: Plant Cell Culture and Applications
Introduction, Cell and Tissue Culture Techniques, Applications of Cell and Tissue Culture, Gene Transfer Methods in Plants, Transgenic Plants with Beneficial Traits, Biosafety of Transgenic Plants
Chapter-3: Animal Cell Culture and Applications
Introduction, Animal Cell Culture Techniques, Characterization of Cell lines, Methods of Gene Delivery into Cells, Scale-up of Animal Culture Process, Applications of Animal Cell Culture, Stem Cell Technology, Tissue Engineering
PRACTICALS 30 Marks 60 Periods
Note: Every student will be required to do the following experiments during the academic session.
1. Use of special equipment in biotechnology experiments
2. Isolation of bacterial plasmid DNA
3. Detection of DNA by gel electrophoreses
4. Isolation of Genomic DNA (CTAB method)
5. Estimation of DNA
6. Bacterial transformation using any plasmid
7. Restriction digestion of plasmid DNA & its analysis by gel electrophoresis
8. Isolation of bacteria from curd & staining of bacteria
9. Cell viability assay
10. Data retrieval and data base search using internet site NCBI and download a DNA and protein sequence from internet, analyze it and comment on it
11. Reading of a DNA sequencing gel to arrive at the sequence
12. Project work
1. A Text Book of Biotechnology - Class XI : Published by CBSE, New Delhi
2. A Laboratory Manual of Biotechnology - Class XI : Published by CBSE, New Delhi
3. A Text Book of Biotechnology - Class XII : Published by CBSE, New Delhi
4. A Laboratory Manual of Biotechnology - Class XII : Published by CBSE, New Delhi
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 12 Biotechnology Syllabus 2018 2019.
Click for more Bio Technology Study Material ›