Important information about CBSE Class XI Geography - Important Concepts. Learning the important concepts is very important for every student to get better marks in examinations. The concepts should be clear which will help in faster learning. The attached concepts made as per NCERT and CBSE pattern will help the student to understand the chapter and score better marks in the examinations.
GEOGRAPHY AS ADISCIPLINE
This unit deals with
1• Geography as an integrating discipline; as a science of spatial attributes
2• Branches of geography: importance of physical geography
3. What is geography?
4. Relation between man and nature?
5. Development of geography
6. Relation between geography and other subjects
7. Geography answers the questions where? What? & Why?
8. Relation between Physical Geography and Natural Science‟
9. Geography and social science relation.
10. Branches of Geography Based on Systematic Approach and Regional Approach
11. Physical geography and its importance.
WHY SHOULD WE STUDY GEOGRAPHY?
1. We live on the earth‟s surface
2. Our lives are affected many ways by our surroundings
3. We depend on the resources available from the earth surface
4. Primitive societies substituted on the plants and animals
5. Food , shelter, and dress are depending on the climate
6. Cropping pattern is based on climate of the place
7. To know the changes taken place throughout the geological time
8. To know the lands and people
9. Develop skills to convert globe to map
10. To have visual sense of the earth surface
2. What are the recent techniques that helped the geographer to understand the earth‟s surface better?
1. GIS& GPS
2. COMPUTER CARTOGRAPHY
3. WHAT IS GEOGRAPHY?
The earth consists of physical and cultural features. They are different from one place to another. This difference helped to understand the relation between physical and cultural features. Physical features provided the stage and human societies enacted the drama to develop their skills. With the use of skills and tools ,he modified the nature
“GEOGRAPHY IS THE DESCRIPTION OF THE EARTH”.
Who coined the term „Geography‟ first?
ERATOSTHENES, A GREEK SCHOLAR (276-194 BC)
What is the origin of the word „Geography‟?
The word derived from Greek language geo= earth , graphos=description. Some scholars defined geography as the description of the earth as the abode of human beings.
How can we say that the earth is „multidimensional‟?
Many Sciences developed to describe the physical features of the earth such as Geology, Pedology, Oceanography Botany Zoology and Meteorology & Cultural features of the earth such as Economics, History, Sociology Political Science, Anthropology,
How does Geography differ from other subjects?
Geography differs from other subjects in terms of matter and methodology. Geography derives its data from Social Sciences and Natural Sciences.
What do you mean by „areal differentiation‟?
When there is similarity and dissimilarity among the physical and cultural features on the earth surface, it is called aerial differentiation.
What do Geographers study?
They study the variations and association of the features on the earth surface e.g. Cropping pattern differs from place to place and it is due to difference in the climate, soil, demand, transport facility, capacity of the farmer. A geographer also studies the cause and effect relationships. The interaction between man and nature is highly dynamic and not static; so it is also called as the study of the relation between unstable earth and untrusting man.
What is the relation between man and nature?
Human is an integral part of nature and nature has imprints of man.
What is the effect of nature on man?
Food clothing, shelter and occupation of man are decided by the nature
How does technology help man?
--to loosen the shackles of the physical conditions.
--to develop resources and utilize them.
--to reach the higher needs of the life. It increased the production of the crops& mobility of labor.
Describe the dialogue between nature and man.
You created the soil, I created the cup,
You created night, I created the lamp.
You created wilderness, hilly terrains and deserts;
I created flower beds and gardens.
Explain the changes occurred in the civilization of man in course of time?
1. Man moved from stage of necessity to stage of freedom.
2. Created new possibilities from the nature
3. We find now humanized nature and naturalized man
4. Space got organized with the help of transport and communication.
What does Geography study?
Geography studies spatial organization and spatial integration.
Which are the three questions concerned with Geography?
What are the natural and cultural features found on the earth surface?
Where are these features found?
Why are these features found there?
How can we say that Geography is an integrated discipline?
It is a discipline of synthesis; it includes spatial and temporal synthesis. Its approach is holistic in nature. it recognizes the fact that the world is a system of interdependence. The present world is a global village. The efficient transport and communication helped the world to become unified village. The audiovisual media helped the data to be enriched. Technology provided better chances of monitoring natural phenomena as well as the economic and social parameters.
What is the basic objective of Sciences & Social Sciences?
The basic aim of Science and Social Science is to understand the reality of the nature.
Explain the relationship of Geography with other subjects?
2 RELATION WITH OTHER SUBJECTYOG
How do other subjects help Geography as an integrated subject?
Please click the link below to download pdf file for CBSE Class 6 English Practice Passages.
Click for more Geography Study Material ›