CBSE Class 7 English Sample Paper Set Z.Sample Papers are the very important for every student. The sample papers should be practiced to gain extra marks in examinations. The sample papers have been prepared based on summative assessment1 and summative assessment 2 pattern. The sample papers have been prepared based on pattern of last year examinations and as per latest changes in the syllabus. Students, teachers and parents can download all CBSE educational material and very well prepared worksheets from this website. All CBSE educational material is developed by our panel of teachers, have also been submitted by CBSE teachers and students.
Section – A
I. Read the given passage and answer the questions that follow: (10 marks)
I am sitting in a chair next to Momma’s bed. I am watching her get ready for a party.
She opens the beautiful jewellery box on her nightstand. It is the size of a shoebox. It is wooden. It has colourful stones on top. They are red, green, yellow, and blue. To me, the box looks magical. It looks like it has special powers.
“Now, you know you must never touch this box, right?” Momma says. I feel like she knows exactly what I am thinking. I just want to touch it. I just want to open it. I just want to try on all the jewellery inside and dance around the room!
“Yes, Momma,” I say. “I know.” What do I know? I know Momma has always told me not to touch the box. She has said it since I was a little girl. “You are not old enough to wear my jewellery,” Momma says.
I am almost eleven years old! What is the big deal? I know that when Momma puts on the rings and bracelets from the box, she looks different. She seems to glow. There is one necklace with a yellow stone like a tiger’s eye. When Momma puts this on, she seems to float instead of walk. Her feet do not seem to touch the ground. She moves lightly and gracefully. She moves without effort. Momma kisses me goodnight. She leaves for the party. I run to the window to wave to her, but she is already gone. Tonight I am very curious. Just one touch. I sit on the edge of Momma’s bed. I place my hand on the nightstand. I pause. I think.
My hand moves up and rests on the jewellery box. The box quickly flips open by itself! Jewels fly into the air. They dance around my head. I feel strange. I fall down to the floor.
I wake up in a place I have never seen before.
Q1. Why does the momma tell the girl not to touch the box?(1)
Q2. What does it mean if something is a big deal? (1)
Q3. When and why does Momma seem to float? (1)
Q4. ‘I feel like she knows exactly what I am thinking’. Who does ‘I’ and ‘she’ refer to? What are the thoughts of the speaker here? (2) Q5. What is the only wish of the girl? (1)
Q6. Does the girl open the jewellery box? Why/Why not? (1)
Q7. Give an example to show that the girl has a lot of patience. (1)
Q 8. How might the end of the story make the reader feel? (1)
Q9. Find the words from the passage that mean the same as follows: (1) 1.elegantly 2odd
II. Read the given passage and answer the questions that follow: (12 marks)
One day an ass and a fox entered into an agreement with the lion that they would assist each other while hunting for food. They felt that their combined efforts would ensure that none of them would have to starve.
Of course, both the ass and the fox were a little nervous about accompanying the lion in the hunt. But the thought of the game they would acquire with his help, made them salivate. They put the nervousness down to nerves.
It was an excellent hunt. The three had combed the jungle in their search for food. When they came to a clearing by the lakeside, they dispersed.
It was decided that the ass would keep an eye out for animals to prey on; when he spotted one, he would go up to the animal and introduce himself. The introductory bray would alert the other two, who were hiding.
The fox would come out at first, growling at the animal. The frightened animal would try to run, the fox would give chase and in trying to avoid him, the animal would run directly in the path of the lion. The lion would then finish the animal off in one swoop.
In the evening, the tired but happy trio assembled in front of the lion's den with their large booty. The lion ordered the ass to allot to each of the three partners, his due portion in the treaty.
The ass was very happy. He felt that, by asking him, the lion had bestowed a great honour on him. Very carefully, he divided the spoil into three equal shares. "Sirs, I have done the needful. I modestly request the two of you to take your shares," he said.
The lion stared at the shares for a minute. "Oh! So you think each one of us deserves an equal share. You think that your feeble attempts to chat with the game compares with my efforts to kill them," he said and jumped on the ass. He killed the ass in one second.
Then he told the terrified fox to make the division. The fox accumulated all that they had killed into one large heap and left to him the smallest possible share. The rest he requested the lion to have.
"Who has taught you, my dear fellow, the art of division? You are perfect to a fraction," said the lion, pleased as punch.
"I learned it from the ass sir, by witnessing his fate," replied the fox. He made up his mind never to take a lion as partner in any future venture.
Q1. Was the decision to enter into an agreement with the lion a good one? Give reason (1)
Q2. What was the strategy they decided to follow in order to hunt? Explain in your own words (2)
Q3. Who was to take the lead and why? (1.5)
Q4. Why did the lion kill the ass? What does it reflect about him? (1.5)
Q5. Why was the lion pleased with the fox’s division? (1)
Q6. "I learned it from the ass sir, by witnessing his fate". What do the words ‘it’ and ‘fate’ refer to here? (1)
Q7. Who would take the least time to kill an animal? Give evidence. (1)
Q8. Find words from the passage that mean the same as follows: (2)
Q9. Give a suitable title to the passage.
Section – B (Literature)
Q1: Ravaana is a hypocrite. Do you agree? Give reasons. (2) Q2: Why in your opinion has the lesson ‘Mr.L and The Dog’ been included in your syllabus? (2) Q4: ”A sort of drum beat goes on within my mind.”Who is the speaker here? What does “drum beat” mean? Why does he say so? (2) Q5: ”Then why don’t you teach the children to be kind?” What is the speaker talking about? Do you agree with him? Why or Why not? (2) Q6: Why do Human beings hunt animals? Is it right to hunt? Why? (2)
Q1: Why did Pallas Athene select Perseus to do an errand for her? How did she help him? (2) Q2: How did Timothy save Philip from the hurricane? (2) Q3: Why did Taro and Jiro make the plan? Did they succeed? Why or why not? (2) Q4: How does greed and foolishness play an important role in the play “Busu”? Give an evidence of each. (2) Q5: How was the Stew Cat important for Philip? (1)
Do ANY TWO of the following:
Q1: What all things did the sweet maid get from her grandfather’s chest? Why? Comment with reference to the poem “Soldier, Soldier.” (2)
Q2: How did the Duck manage to overcome the Kangaroo’s objection? Comment with reference to the poem ’the Duck and the Kangaroo’. (2)
Q3: Name one poem each from C1 and C2 that you liked the most. Give reasons for your answer. (2)
Section – C (Grammar)
I. Put the verbs given in the brackets in the appropriate tense. (16x0.5=8)
1. I _________________ (work) all week. I hope I ______________ (get) some time to myself.
2. Please don't make noise. The baby ________________ (sleep)
3. I'm sorry I can't help you in _________________ (bake) a cake because I ______________ (work) right now.
4. When I ________________ (drive) home last night, I discovered that the door __________________ (leave) open by the guard.
5. I am getting better at skating. I _________________ (learn) it since 2011.
6. Since I stopped working at that place things ________________ (change) a lot. I remember that the office ____________ (be) not so big earlier.
7. After I am finished with this painting I ________________(paint) your picture. I have wanted to paint your picture since last year.
8. By the time it is 2:00 pm, I ___________________ (stand) here for three hours.
9. Since when _________ you ________________ (cough)? __________ you ____________(not think) you should go to a doctor?
10. How fast ___________________ he _____________________ (ride) on his horse last week?
11. You appear to be in a hurry. ___________ you ________________ (get) late for an event?
II. Use Since/For to complete the following sentences: (0.5X8=4)
1. I have been singing _________ four hours.
2. I haven't had anything to eat ____________ two days.
3. How long has it been _______________ you wrote your last book?
4. I have not been keeping well _____________ last Tuesday.
5. I have been cooking a delicious meal ______________ morning.
6. He has been walking around this park ______________ yesterday.
7. She’s been writing letters _____________ three hours now.
8. They’ve been gossiping _______________ afternoon.
III. Complete the following Conditional sentences: (7x1=7)
(a) The work will be done if _______________________________________.
(b) I will clean the house if _______________________________________.
(c) If it doesn’t rain, _______________________________________.
(d) Come out right now if _______________________________________.
(e) If she doesn't buy me these shoes, _______________________________________.
(f) We shall feel great if _______________________________________.
(g) I will wake up on time if _______________________________________.
IV. There is one error in each line of the paragraph given below. Identify the errors and correct them. (8x0.5=4)
Incorrect Word Correct Word
There is more than 6,000 million people a) _________ ___________
live on planet Earth. The b) _________ ___________
Earth provide us with air to c) _________ ___________
breath, food to eat or water to d) _________ ___________
drink. It give us materials to e) _________ ___________
build homes. The Earth also gives them raw material for f) _________ ___________
making clothes, and it provides us with much g) _________ ___________
other things that we needed to enjoy ourselves. h) _________ ___________
Section – D (Composition)
Write a paragraph of about 20 lines on any one of the following topics: (10)
• Write the points neatly before you write the paragraph.
• The paragraph must be indented or it will be marked zero.
• Be original and creative.
1. The day I took initiative 2. If I had two extra hours in a day 3. My best memory 4. My idea of an ideal world
Section – E (Supplementary Test – OLIVER TWIST)
Answer ANY EIGHT of the following questions: (8)
1. What did the board at Mr. Bumble’s workhouse do to get rid of Oliver?
2. What did Mrs. Sowerberry give Oliver to eat?
3. Who did Oliver meet after leaving Mr. Sowerberry’s house? Why did that person look pale?
4. Why was the magistrate, Mr. Fang, rude to Mr. Brownlow?
5. Who did Fagin send to the police station to enquire about Oliver? Why?
6. Why was Dick happy to be dying young?
7. Who wanted to marry Rose?
8. What did the old woman, Sally, tell Mrs. Corney about Oliver’s mother before dying?
9. What did Nancy do to move out of the house the first time she went to meet Rose?
10. What job did Noah accept from Fagin?
Please click the below link to access CBSE Class 7 English Sample Paper Set Z.
Click for more English Study Material ›