CBSE Class 7 English Sample Paper Set O. It’s always recommended to practice as many sample papers as possible before the examinations. Students can download the sample papers and also question papers of previous years to practice and score better marks in examinations. Refer to other links too for more sample papers.
SECTION : A
1. Read the passage carefully and answer the questions that follow :
1. Granny had somewhere secured a yard -long sugarcane for the celebration, although it was not the season. She said, "No birthday is truly celebrated unless and until a sugarcane is seen in the house. It is auspicious." She strung mango leaves across the doorway and decorated the entrance with colored rice powder. A neighbor passing down the road stopped to ask: “What’s the celebration? Shall we blew out the ovens in our houses and come for the feast in yours?"
2. "Yes, by all means. Most welcome," said the old lady courteously and added as if to neutralize the invitation, “You are always welcome. “She felt sorry at not being able to . call in the neighbors, but that recluse son of hers had forbidden her to invite anyone.
3. Left to herself she would have engaged pipes and drums and processions, for this particular birthday was a thing she had been planning all along, this twentieth birthday when she would hand over the Savings Passbook to her grandson and relinquish the trust. It was an adventure accompanying granny to the fund office, four doors off.
4. She seemed to shrink in stature under an open sky· she who dominated the landscape under the roof of number 14, lost her stature ompletely in the open. Sriram couldn't help remarking, "You look like a baby, Granny." Granny half-closed her eyes in the glare and hispered, "Hush! Don't talk aloud, others may hear." Hear what?" "Whatever it may be.What happen behind one's door must be known only to the folks concerned. Others had better shut up."
5. As if confirming worst suspicion, Kanni cried breezily from .his shop "Oh! grandmother and her pet on an outing!A fine sight!The young gentleman is shooting up, madam!"
1.1 Answer the following questions briefly :
(a) Why had Granny secured the sugarcane?
(b) How did Granny decorate the house? Why?
(c) How did Granny neutralize the invitation extended to her neighbors? Why?
(d) Why had Granny been looking forward to this particular birthday of Sriram?
(e) Why did Sriram remark, "You look like a baby, Granny"?
(f) What ·was Kanni's comment about Sriram?
1.2 Find words from the passage which mean the same as given below : (2x1=2 marks)
(a) to obtain (para 1) b} person who avoids other people (para 2) 1
2. Read the poem carefully and answer the questions that follow
Man! I am your life long friend
When your ancestors were apes still .
For protection on me did they depend
Plucked my leaves and dug my roots
To save themselves from pangs of hunger
Thus they lived on my bark and fruits
My shades saved them from scorching sun
They burnt my wood to ward off cold
None gave them such comfort and fun
If you keep losing your love for me
Floods and storms shall rage wild
Blotting out all progress made by thee
The earth shall offer no sight to cherish
Groves and fields will tum into deserts
Homo sapiens are, thus doomed to perish.
2.1. Complete the following sentences on the basis of the reading of the poem :
(a) Man's ancestors were dependent on trees a5 they got (i) and (ii) _ from them.
(b) In order to protect themselves from cold, our ancestors
(c) If man loses. his love for nature/trees he will suffer in the following ways:
(ii) --- - - - -
(d)The following lines of the poem tell us that the tree is addressing to the man: (1mark)
SECTION : B (WRITING) (24 marks)
3. Write a letter to your friend who lives in another city, describing your visit to a hill station.
4. Imagine that you wish to watch an English movie in a theatre. Frame a dialogue between you and your father, where you request him to take you for a movie .Your father agrees to do so, but on certain conditions. Write five sets of dialogues on the situation. (5 marks)
5. Write a paragraph on 'My School Library'- A storehouse of knowledge, in about 120 words.
Hints-very spacious, books available on various topics, novels, story books, biographies encyclopedias, newspapers and magazines, reading period to enjoy books.
6. Given below is a profile of Mahatma Buddha. Write a short bio- sketch of him with the help of clues given below. (5 marks)
Birth 560 B.C .in India in a royal family
Early Life ]-lived in royal comforts, as a prince. Got married, had a son called Rahul. On seeing an old man, a sick man and later a dead body, he left home to seek the truth.
Life in search of enlightenment-he lived in self denial and meditated under the Bodh tree in Gaya. On being enlightened, he taught the principles of four noble truth, belief in nonviolence and in ahimsa Later life - wandered from city to city, spreading his message.
Death-in about 480 B.C
SECTION : C
7. Fill in the blanks with simple past tense or the past continuous tense of the. verbs given in the brackets.
(a) Meera ---- (leave ) the house when her maid .------ (come).
(b) Theboy----- (read) when his father---(switch)on the television. (c) She (shout)for help when a biker (snatch)her chain.
(d) Jess (sing) while I------(drive).
8. Change the following into Indirect speech
(a) My doctor said , " Cut down on cakes and biscuits."
(b) The old man said to me, "Your guests are noisy".
(c) She said to her friend, "I am seriously ill."
(d) He said to his parents, "I have no plans to leave university."
9. Combine each of the following pairs of sentences into one using past perfect and simple past tense. (4x1=4 marks)
(a) He picked up his brush. He started .to paint.
(b) The match started. The players entered the stadium.
(c) I sang a song . Everyone applauded it.
(d) Mother took me to a function. She locked the house.
10. Complete the sentences by adding an appropriate reason. Use 'as'or 'since'.(4x1=4 marks)
(a) I didn't attend the lecture _--------
(b) The programme started late
(c) She lost the final match -- - -----
- (d) I saved it for future.
SECTION : D (LITERATURE)
11. Read the extract below and answer the questions that follow :
You were right, said Starglyn
They must have been a very aggressive people.
What was your main source of information?'
(a) Who does ' they' refer to in the above lines?
(b) Where is Starglyn ?
(c) What did he learn about 'they' and how?
12. Read the extract below and answer the questions that follow But he's locked in a concrete cell His strength behind bars, stalking the length of his cage, Ignoring visito rs.
(a) Who is locked in a concrete cell?
(b) Why is he ignoring visitors?
(c) Explain the line ' his strength behind bars'.
(d) Name the poet of the above lines?
13. Answer the following questions in about 60 -80 words. (Sx2=10 marks)
(a) Do you agree that Adela Pingsford is a self centred person? Give two examples from the story to support your answer. (The stalled ox)
(b) Why is king Hobu angry with his minister Gobu? What is the effect of Hobu's threat on Gobu? (The invention of shoes)
(c) Why do you think Adela is rude to Eshley. Give an example to support your answer.
(d) What does Anancy do to show that he is very clever? (Bro tiger goes dead)
(e) How do Amma , Moti and Lambi treat Chaambali? (Chaambali)
14Imagine you are Anancy in the story 'Bro tiger goes dead'. Write a diary entry in about 120 words describing how you exposed Bro Tiger's plan.
Please click the link below to download CBSE Class 7 English Sample Paper Set O.
Click for more English Study Material ›