CBSE Class 7 English Sample Paper Set 5.Sample Papers are the very important for every student. The sample papers should be practiced to gain extra marks in examinations. The sample papers have been prepared based on summative assessment1 and summative assessment 2 pattern. The sample papers have been prepared based on pattern of last year examinations and as per latest changes in the syllabus. Students, teachers and parents can download all CBSE educational material and very well prepared worksheets from this website. All CBSE educational material is developed by our panel of teachers, have also been submitted by CBSE teachers and students.
A1. Read the given passage carefully and answer the questions that follow: [4x1=4]
Mahatma Gandhi returned to India in January 1915. He had come from South Africa where he had successfully fought the racist regime with a novel method of mass agitation, which he called Satyagraha. The idea of Satyagraha emphasized the power of truth and the need to search for truth. Without seeking for vengeance or being aggressive, a satyagrahi could win the battle through non violence. This could be done by appealing to the conscience of the oppressor. By this struggle truth was bound to ultimately triumph. Mahatma Gandhi believed that this dharma of non violence could unite all India.
Q. Read the questions given below and write the option you consider the most appropriate.
1. Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from __________ in _________
a.America ; January 1947 b.Africa; January 1937 c.South Africa ; January 1915 d.Alaska; 1916
2. He had successfully fought the racist regime with a novel method of__________
a. mass revolution b. mass agitation called satyagraha c. emphasizing the truth d. fighting back with weapons
3. Satyagrahi could win the battle through __________
a. force b. violence c. force and violence d. non violence
4. Mahatma Gandhi believed that __________
a. He could free Africa from British rule
b. Dharma of non violence could unite all India
c. The dharma of non violence could ruin India’s future.
d. None of the above.
A2. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow.[4x1=4]
Lake Vostok is about 250 kilometers long, and 400 kilometer wide, making it one of the largest lakes, but nobody has yet touched its waters. This is because it lies under almost four kilometers of ice, in the center of Antarctica, below Russia’s Vostok station. Surprisingly , its water is not frozen. Heat from the earth’s interior, and the insulating properties of the thick blanket of ice above it ,keep the water in a liquid state Though the existence of the lake was suspected since the 1970’s Russian and British scientists using radar technology confirmed it only in 1996.
Answer the following questions
1. What is the length and width of lake Vostok?
2. Why has not anybody touched its water?
3. Why is its water not frozen?
4. How did the scientists confirm the existence of lake Vostok?
A3 Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow:
England. England and Scotland were, therefore constantly at war. He gathered a big army and fought against the English several times. But every time he was defeated by the English army. He had a narrow escape. The English army chased him. So he ran to a dense forest. He hid himself in a cave. It was a deep and dark cave. He was very unhappy over disappointments. He decided not to fight again. He wanted to spend the rest of his days in the cave.
1. __________ was crowned king in 1305.
a. Wallace b. Yoke of England
c. Robert Bruce d. a noble man
2. Robert Bruce fought against the English __________.
a. to free Scotland from the Yoke of England
b. to become a king
c. to extend his kingdom
d. because he was a conqueror
3. Bruce had a narrow escape from __________.
a. the French army b. the English army
c. Wallace d. the king
4. Robert hid himself in a __________.
a. cave b. dungeon c. the palace d. the house
SECTION - B [WRITING]
B1. You are Amit Dosi of Class VII B., coming from a poor family. Write an application to the principal of your school requesting him her to give you fee concession to continue your studies in the school. 
B2. You are Nikhita Nair, the head girl of Delhi Public school, Jaipur. On the occasion of children’s day, your school is organizing a dance programme for the students of class. VI-VIII. Write a notice in about 50 words inviting the students to watch the programme. 
B3. You stay in a boarding school. Your friend from your home town would pay you a visit on a certain day. However you are not allowed to meet anyone apart from your family members. Write a letter to your hostel superintendent requesting him/her to give you permission to meet your friend.
[Hind: with due respect------would like to inform-----friend from Delhi---------to meet me ----------
date and time----------would be grateful-------------if you give me permission to meet my friend] 
B4. Read the following verbal inputs and write an essay on ‘The wonders of science.’ [1x4=4]
[This is an age of science----------- revolutionized the life of man------------many inventions and
discoveries------- are some of the gifts of science ------------T.V., computer, mobile etc.--------------wonders
of the world--------------impossible to list the achievements----------------improvement in the field of
medicine ----------- 50 years ago proper medicines were not available--------- situation changed ----------
even replacement of organs are done ----------a blessing for man--------------add your own ideas to this ]
SECTION C [GRAMMAR]
C1. Fill in the blanks with the noun forms of the words given in brackets. [4x¼=1]
1. Garima was not sure of the ---------------------of the cloth. [long]
2. The ---------------------of His creatures is God’s grace. [happy]
3. People should avoid movies which depict ---------------[violent]
4. I attended my cousin’s ----------ceremony on Saturday. [marry]
C2. Fill in the blanks with the correct degree of comparison of the adjectives given in brackets. [4x¼=1]
1. Milk is ------------than water. [thick]
2. Bharati is the --------------girl in the school. [intelligent]
3. Akshay is ------------------to Arjun. [junior]
4. Can you name the------------------river in India. [ Long]
C3. Choose the correct determiner from the option given below to complete the sentence. [4x¼=1]
1. Would you like to have _________ tea or coffee?
[a. some b. any c. little d. few ]
2. He is a man of _________ words.
[a. much b. some c. few d. less ]
3. He lived for __________ months.
[a. much b. many c. any d. little ]
4. Two soldiers had a gun __________ .
[a. every b. each c. another d. enough]
C4. Fill in the blanks with suitable idioms from bracket. [4x ¼=1]
1. While coming back from school I __________ my cousin.
[a. call upon b. came across c. bring out d. go through]
2. why don’t you _________ at our house some time?
[a. fill in b. drop in c. get off d. make out]
3. You did not __________ the experiment properly.
[a. carry out b. call upon c. carry off d. carry in ]
4. I __________ the metro and walked down to my friend’s house.
[a. got on b. got off c. got in d. got out ]
C5. Match the words with their Synonyms in column B. [4x¼=1]
1. begin a. inventive
2. abrupt b. start
3. ancient c. sudden
4. creative d. old
C 6. Choose the correct models from the options given below to fill in the blanks. [4x¼=1]
1. After lunch she __________ have a short nap.
[a. will b. might c. would d. should]
2. Members __________ not borrow more than two books at a time from the library.
[a. may b. might c. will d. must]
3. __________ you pass that book, please?
[a. would b. should c. must d. did]
4. He __________ to look after his parents.
[a. should b. will c. may d. ought]
C7. Join the following sentences using who, whom, whose, which, that. [4x¼=1]
1. The teacher sat on a chair. It was painted black.
2. Meet Mr.Kumar. He is our new next door neighbor.
3. Teena is my classmate. She has shifted to our neighbourhood.
4 I have lost my watch. It was a gift from my father.
C 8. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate forms of verbs. [8x¼=2]
1. Boys __________ to play kites.
[a. love b. loves c. will love d. loved ]
2. The sun __________ in the west.
[a. is setting b. sets c. will be setting d. set]
3. John __________ reading a novel.
[a. has b. is c. may d. will ]
4. I __________ the letter and posted it.
[a. has written b. am writing c. are written d. have written ]
5. He learns __________ the casio .
[ a. play b. plays c. to play d. played ]
6. The Clown made us __________
[ a. laugh b. to laugh c. laughed d. has laughed ]
7. Rajat __________ to a new house yesterday.
[a. shifted b. shift c. change d. will be shifting ]
8. The tailor __________ her dress by tomorrow.
[a. will be stitching b. will have stitched
c. stitch d. will have been stitching]
C9. Re-arrange the following words to form meaningful sentences. [4x½=2]
1. help/ should/ we/ crisis/ in/ one another
2. machine/ the/ repaired/ mechanic/ the/ washing
3. Japan/ a few/ an/ struck/ back/ months/ earth quake
4. her/ with/ work/ the lady/ pleased/ was
C10. There is one error in each sentence. Find the error , correct them and re-write. [8x¼=2]
While climbed up a mountain a. ------------ ------------
a groups of young boys saw b. ------------ ------------
an bear walking towards them. c. ------------ ------------
One of them suggests that they d. ------------ ------------
should climbed up a tree. The e. ------------ ------------
boys quick followed his instructions. f. ------------- ------------
They felt safe as he watched g. ------------ ------------
a bear walk past the tree. h. ------------ ------------
SECTION-D [ LITERATURE]
D 1. Read the following extract and answer the questions that follow : [4x½=2]
‘The crowds of flowers come out of sadden, from nobody knows Where, and dance upon the grass in wild glee Mother, I really think the flowers go to school underground”
1. __________ came out of a sudden.
[a. storm b. rain c. crowds of flowers d. grass ]
2. The flowers are __________ upon the grass.
[ playing b. dancing c. marching d. crying ]
3.________ go to school underground.
[ a. the childre b. poet c. flowers d. crowd ]
4. ‘The flower school’ is written by __________.
[a. Sarojini Naidu b. Rabindra Nath Tagore
c. Shakespeare d. Wordsworth ]
D 2. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. [4x½= 2]
24 October 1915 marked the beginning of the end. Shackleton’s fears came true as the ice slowly closed in on the ship. The Endurance lost the fight. For 281 days the wooden ship had been locked in the dangerous ice pack of the Weddell Sea. As Orde-Lees, a crew member, put it, “Frozen like an almond in the middle of a chocolate bar……..……….”
1. 24 October 1915 was one of the worst days because __________.
a. The ice began to pack dangerously around the ship.
b. The crew was starving and supplies ran out that day.
c. It was unbearably cold and they could not make a fire.
d. The crew lost hope and grew afraid of dying. ]
2. Earnest Shackleton was an __________
[a. Scientist b. Explorer c. Writer d. Astronomer]
3. The Endurance is __________
[a. crew b. name of a place c. name of a ship d. name of a thing]
4. __________ said, “Frozen, like an almond in the middle of a chocolate bar………..”
a. The author b. Orde-Lees
c. Earnest Shackleton d. A scientist
D 3. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. [4x½=2]
“I aqm going to use my books as fuel in the kitchen”, Swaminathan said. “My father has bought a lot of books for me to read during the vacation-Sindbad the sailor, Ali baba and so on,” said Sankar. Mani came throwing his arms and wailing: “Time is absolutely insufficient. I could have dashed off the last question.”
1. Who is going to use books as fuel?
2. Name the books Shankar’s father bought for him.
3. Why was Mani wailing?
4. From which lesson is this extract taken and who is the author of it?
D 4. Answer the following questions. [4x1=4]
1. Why did Anne frank find herself completely alone in the world ?
2. Who was the cleverest of the boys? Give two pieces of evidence from the story School breaks up to prove this.
3. How did Montmorency ‘contribute’ to packing?
4. Why does the poet call the train ‘ tedious’?
D 5. Answer any one of the following questions [1x3=3]
1. What lesson do you learn from the life of Lance Armstrong? Describe in your own words.
From the lesson ‘The Endurance Sinks’, How would you describe Earnest Shackleton as a person?
Please click the below link to access CBSE Class 7 English Sample Paper Set 5.
Click for more English Study Material ›