CBSE Basic Concepts for Class XII Informatics Practices -Free and Open Source Software Study Notes . Based on CBSE and CCE guidelines. The students should read these basic concepts to gain perfection which will help him to get more marks in CBSE examination.
Chapter - 1
FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
Definition by Richard Stallman’s:
It means software is freely accessible, free to use, changed, improved, copied, distributed without any payments.
Four kinds of freedom
► Freedom to run the program for any purpose
► Freedom to redistribute copies.
► Freedom to study how the program works
► Freedom to improve the program and release your improvements to the public.
Open Source Software
Definition: The categories of software / programs whose licenses do not impose much conditions.
1. Freedom to run and use the software
2. Modify the program
3. Redistribute copies of either original or modified program (without paying royalties to previous developers). It can be freely used for modifications, but it does not have to be free of charge. Its source code is available. Criteria for the distribution of open source software
1. Free distribution
2. Source code
3. Derived works
4. Integrity of the Author’s Source code
5. No discrimination against fields of endeavor.
6. Distribution of License
7. License must not be specific to a product
8. License must not restrict other software
FOSS (free and open software)
Free software- no payments
Open source software- for technical progress
Please refer to attached file for CBSE Class 12 Informatics Practices Free and Open Source Software Study Notes
Click for more Informatics Practices Study Material ›