CBSE Class 9 Assignment-A Dog Named Duke - Listening Comprehension. Students are advised to refer to the attached assignments and practise them regularly. This will help them to identify their weak areas and will help them to score better in examination. Parents should download and give the assignments to their children for practice.
A DOG NAMED DUKE
By WILLIAM .D. ELLIS
I. Read the following extracts and answer the questions that follow.
1. He was already a hard – charging zone sales manager for a chemical company. Everything was going for him.
i) What does ‘He’ refer to here?
ii) What happened to the sales manager?
iii) What does the expression ‘Everything was going for him’ mean here?
2. “Those who saw it said the dog knew instantly. He never jumped on Chuck again.From that moment he took up a post beside his masters bed around the clock”.
i) What did the dog knew instantly?
ii) Where was the dog before his master was came from the hospital?
iii) What does the phrase around the clock mean?
3. “ Secretly Marcy cried as she watched the big man’s face lines set in like cement as Chuck stared at the ceiling for hours , then out of the window, then at Duke.”
i) Marcy cried secretly because
ii) The expression ‘severe face lines set in like cement’refers to
iii) Why would Chuck stare at Duke?
II. Answer the following in 30-40 words.
1. How did Chuck Hoopers excitement of homecoming wore off and Chuck hit a new low at home?
2. How did Hooper take his first step after the accident?
3. Why was the staff of the local branch office of the company amazed by Hooper’s visit?
4. ‘Why did Chuck’s move present problems in the company’s headquarter? What were they?
5. Why was Charles’ promotion after Duke’s death a befitting tribute to Duke?
III. Answer the following in 75-100 words.
1. Duke was an extraordinary dog. What special qualities did he exhibit to justify this?
2. Write a diary entry to express your feelings when you read that Duke died after reading the lesson ‘A Dog Named Duke’.
CBSE Class 9 Assignment-A Dog Named Duke
Click for more English Study Material ›