CBSE Class 10 English Avoidin Repetition. Students can download the specific chapters from the CBSE and NCERT text books from studiestoday.com. Please refer to the attached file to access the chapters. The books and specific chapters have been collected by the tutors on studiestoday for the benefit of CBSE students. They can access these chapters anywhere and use them for their studies.
ACTIVE AND PASSIVE
A.1 Complete the following sentences using the correct form of the verbs given in brackets.
A.2 When do we use the passive voice?
1. It is a big college. More than a hundred teachers ____________________ (employ) there.
2. _________________________ (somebody/ clean) the office yesterday?
3. How much of our country's land area _______________________ (cover) by forest?
4. The hostel gates _______________ (lock) at 8.00 pm everyday.
5. The parcel _________________ (send) a month ago and it __________________ (arrive) only yesterday.
6. Where _______________________ (these photographs/take)? In Mumbai? ______________________________ (you/ take) them, or somebody else?
Did you use the same type of construction in your answers?
What are the two types of construction called?
Example: Look at the following sentences:
a) My grandfather established this steel factory in 1940.
b) This steel factory was established in 1940 by my grandfather. We use the passive voice when we are more interested in the action than the person who does it or when we do not know the active subject .
Read the following sentences and using the given clues, find out the reason for the use of the passive construction as in the Example above.
1. He was killed in the World War II.
Clue: Who must have killed him? Is it obvious?
2. The Bank was looted last night.
Clue: Have the police caught the culprits?
3. Sachin Tendulkar is looked upon as a sporting icon.
Clue: By whom?
4. This sort of road-side restaurants can be seen everywhere in this city.
Clue: How will you write it in active voice?
5. When he arrived at the airport, he was arrested.
Clue: Rewrite the sentence in active voice. Is it a little awkward?
6. Employer: On account of tight financial condition, bonus will not be paid this
Clue: If it is some good news, what voice will the employer use?
7. I got my hair cut.
Clue: Look at the construction using 'got'.
Please refer to the link below - CBSE Class 10 English Avoidin Repetition