Download CBSE Class 10 English Reading Notes Set A in PDF format. All Revision notes for Class 10 English have been designed as per the latest syllabus and updated chapters given in your textbook for English in Class 10. Our teachers have designed these concept notes for the benefit of Class 10 students. You should use these chapter wise notes for revision on daily basis. These study notes can also be used for learning each chapter and its important and difficult topics or revision just before your exams to help you get better scores in upcoming examinations, You can also use Printable notes for Class 10 English for faster revision of difficult topics and get higher rank. After reading these notes also refer to MCQ questions for Class 10 English given on studiestoday
Revision Notes for Class 10 English Reading
Class 10 English students should refer to the following concepts and notes for Reading in Class 10. These exam notes for Class 10 English will be very useful for upcoming class tests and examinations and help you to score good marks
Reading Notes Class 10 English
CBSE Class 10 Reading Notes (1). Learning the important concepts is very important for every student to get better marks in examinations. The concepts should be clear which will help in faster learning. The attached concepts made as per NCERT and CBSE pattern will help the student to understand the chapter and score better marks in the examinations.
1. Read the passage carefully:
How my Life changed its Course
1. Ever since I can remember, I always felt I was stupid, really stupid. I lost my father when I was three. Since I was a sick child, a polio victim, I lived with my grandmother in Mumbai so I could avail of the metro‘s advanced medical facilities. I remember being on the streets all day, playing or lazing around.
2. When I turned ten, my mother and my sister came to live in Mumbai too. My sister was a bright student, always securing high grades. She and my mother encouraged me to study, but I just could not bring myself to concentrate on any subject. I would get bored and feel sleepy when forced to open my books. After innumerable lectures on the importance of studying had failed, mother tried threats as well, but nothing worked, I truly believed I was stupid; no matter how much I worked, it wouldn‘t help.
3. One afternoon, as always, I was sitting under a tree in the school premises eating potato wafers when I saw a former classmate approaching me. Aditi and I had been in the same class the year before. I had failed sixth grade and had to repeat the year; Aditi had topped the class and was the brightest student of the seventh grade too. I flinched a little Aditi as I saw her walk towards me. Hi,‘ she said. Hi,‘ I replied, but not with much enthusiasm; I wanted her to leave. I continued to eat my chips. Ignoring my coldness, she sat down next to me. For five minutes neither of us spoke and then she asked, Is Devika your real sister?‘ Yes, she is, I answered.
4. So how come she doesn‘t teach you so that you too can do well? she asked. I peered at her, wondering if she was making fun of me, but all I could see on her face was earnestness. No, she is not trying to tease me, I decided. This time I answered a little more warmly, She tries to, but I don‘t like studying.‘ Why not? I‘m sure you can get good grades too,‘ she said emphatically. No, I can‘t. I have no brains. God forgot to give me brains, health or beauty. He gave me nothing.‘
5. ―That‘s not true. And anyway, health and beauty can‘t be helped, but God has given brains to everyone, we only have to learn to use it.‘ I shook my head, No, I have difficulty in concentrating, and books bore me; there is no hope for me. Please leave me alone. I am stupid, and always will be.‘ With the gentlest tone that she could muster she said, I can prove it to you that you are not stupid. Give me one chance, I will teach you to study.‘
6. Though I was softening from inside, I still held on to my low self-esteem.You‘ll be wasting your time.I cannot study, I am not as bright as you are nor lucky as my sister,‘ I said Let me try and help you, please. I will show you the right way to study. You just have to cooperate with me. Will you try?‘ Her belief in me proved more powerful than my doubts about myself. She won and I relented.
A4.1 Give reasons for the following-
a) The writer believed that she was stupid.
b) The writer flinched as she saw her friend walking towards her.
c) The writer lacked interest in her studies.
d) The writer was not a very confident or assertive girl.
4.2 Complete the following 4 marks
a) When she had to study she felt ------- and -----------.
b) The writer said that God had forgotten to give her brains ----------- and ------
c) Her mother tried to convince her to study by ________ and ----------------.
d) -------- was the writer‘s sister and --------- was a classmate in the previous year.
4.3 From the passage find one word which means the same as - 2 marks
a) Make a sudden movement as a result of pain, fear , surprise etc. (para 3)
b) Find as much support, courage etc as you can (para5)
c) Finally agree to something after refusing (para 6)
d) To look carefully at something, to see it clearly (para 4)
4.1 a) because she could not concentrate on studies.
b) because she did not want to talk to her.
c) because she did not perform well.
d) because she was not good at studies.
4.2 a) bored and sleepy
b) health and beauty
c) lecturing and threatening
d) Devika, Aditi
4.3 a) flinch, b) muster c) relent d) peer
2. Read the passage carefully:
1) The world‘s smallest dog, the Chihuahua or the Pocket Dog is barely 1 kg to 2 kg as an adult! The Chihuahua is named after a Mexican State, but its roots can be traced back to China. Today this breed is popular choice among the dog lovers world over and their popularity seems to be ever increasing.
2) The main advantage of this breed is that they need no particular exercise. They are quite satisfied with their walks within their house. Being small, however, does not mean that they are dull, on the contrary they are sharp, alert animals, very strong in character. They are good guard dogs due to their strong cords. They have an inherent curiosity that makes them want to know what goes on within the house.
3) For show purposes the maximum permissible weight is 0.9kg to 1.8 kg. Chihuahuas are of two types, the long coated and the smooth coated. The long coated ones have flat or slightly wavy coats. The smooth coated ones are soft textured and glossy in appearance.
4) They can be of any colour. Their heads are apple dome-shaped and in some animals, the frontal areas of the skull do not fuse! The nose is short and the ears are at an angle of 45 degrees to the head. The dogs are slightly longer than the tail and the tail is carried like a sickle that just touches the back. The body on the whole is compact and has a graceful appearance. Occasionally a tail-less dog is born but tail cropping is not an accepted practice.
5) Compared to other pups, they require little care, and only the long-haired variety needs grooming. They tend to exercise themselves within the confines of the house. This makes them prone to have overgrown nails that need regular clipping. As far as their diet is concerned, they could be fussy and choosy eaters, but then almost all toy breeds are so! They are intelligent and learn easily.
6) They are very active within the house and literally are burglar alarms. They are good with children and are loyal and devoted to the family. On the whole, the Chihuahua is quite a pet! At just six inches, it is bundle of energy. Most people are surprised seeing these animals and the general awareness of this breed is still low. However, just one hurdle remains. Because this is a pocket dog, it may pinch a few pockets.
Q1 Read the following summary of the information given in the passage and fill in each of the spaces with one word only.
The most popular variety of (a) -------- dogs today is Chihuahua. The (b) ------- size is its greatest attraction as an adult weighs just between 1 kg and 2 kg. A walk within the house gives them (c) ----------- .Besides strength of character, they possess (d) --------- and alertness. They are always (e) --------- to know what is happening inside the house. Their strong vocal cord makes them (f) ------------ as burglar alarms.
Q2 On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer the following questions as briefly as possible.
Q3 Below you can see some headings .Choose the best heading for the paragraph indicated below:
Q4 Find words/phrases from the passage (para indicated) which mean the same as the following.
(a) intrinsic (para 2)
(b) small and strong (para 4)
3. Read the following poem carefully:
Four seasons fill the measure of the year;
There are four seasons in the mind of man:
He has his lusty Spring when fancy clear
Takes in all beauty with an easy span;
He has his Summer, when luxuriously
Spring‘s honey cud of youthful thought he loves
To ruminate, and by such dreaming high
Is nearest unto heaven: quite coves
His soul has in its Autumn, when his wings
He furleth close; contended so to look
On mist in idleness- to let fair things
Pass by unheeded as a threshold brook.
He has his winter too of pale misfeature,
Or else he would forgo his mortal nature. -John Keats
Question: Choose the right option:
1) In this poem man‘s mind is compared to:
(a) seasons (b) nature (c) spring (d) winter
2) How many seasons are there in the mind of man?
(a) four (b) three (c) five (d) two
3) ‗ruminate‘ means:
(a) to think seriously (b) to chew slowly as cow do
(c) to depend on (d) to be melancholy
4) Winter, in this poem symbolizes:
(a) misfortune (b) weakness/debility (c) death (d) darkness
5) Line three in the poem describes:
(a) lust (b) youthfulness/zest/energy
(c) spring of one‘s life (d) flowering
Answers 3: 1) (b) 2) (a) 3) (a) 4) (b) 5) (b)
4. Read the following passage carefully:
In acupuncture, no drug is injected into the body, so it has no adverse effects. The stimulation of acupuncture points was done so far by very thin, sharp sliver needles. The prick is almost painless. But now techniques like the use of laser beams (without using needles) are being used in which there is no prick, no pain. These are readily acceptable to children and those patients who are scared of needles. For every patient, there is a separate set of needles, which is sterilized after every use, so there should not be any fear of infection. Initially three of four courses of acupuncture treatment are given (one course is of ten days) to control asthma and usually the patient is off medicine by that time. After this, one sitting, weekly or fortnightly, is continued for some time, so as to prevent relapse. At the time of Holi or Diwali when there is a change of season, there is a tendency of relapse, so once/twice a week sittings are given during the period of three seasons, which generally results in an almost cure in children and young patients(up to the age of 25-30 years). Relapses are generally unusual. In older age groups though some damage to lungs has been done due to prolonged disease and medication, yet considerable improvement is possible resulting in decrease in severity and frequency of attacks.
Please click the link below to download pdf file for CBSE Class 10 Reading Notes (1).
|CBSE Class 10 English Tips To Get Better Marks|
|CBSE Class 10 English Communicative Grammar Notes|
|CBSE Class 10 English Communicative Literature Notes|
|CBSE Class 10 English Communicative Reading Notes|
|CBSE Class 10 English Communicative Writing Notes|
|CBSE Class 10 English Literature Notes Set A|
|CBSE Class 10 English Literature Notes Set B|
|CBSE Class 10 English Literature Notes Set C|
|CBSE Class 10 English Literature Notes Set D|
More Study Material
CBSE Class 10 English Reading Notes
We hope you liked the above notes for topic Reading which has been designed as per the latest syllabus for Class 10 English released by CBSE. Students of Class 10 should download and practice the above notes for Class 10 English regularly. All revision notes have been designed for English by referring to the most important topics which the students should learn to get better marks in examinations. Studiestoday is the best website for Class 10 students to download all latest study material.
Notes for English CBSE Class 10 Reading
Our team of expert teachers have referred to the NCERT book for Class 10 English to design the English Class 10 notes. If you read the concepts and revision notes for one chapter daily, students will get higher marks in Class 10 exams this year. Daily revision of English course notes and related study material will help you to have a better understanding of all concepts and also clear all your doubts. You can download all Revision notes for Class 10 English also from www.studiestoday.com absolutely free of cost in Pdf format. After reading the notes which have been developed as per the latest books also refer to the NCERT solutions for Class 10 English provided by our teachers
Reading Notes for English CBSE Class 10
All revision class notes given above for Class 10 English have been developed as per the latest curriculum and books issued for the current academic year. The students of Class 10 can rest assured that the best teachers have designed the notes of English so that you are able to revise the entire syllabus if you download and read them carefully. We have also provided a lot of MCQ questions for Class 10 English in the notes so that you can learn the concepts and also solve questions relating to the topics. All study material for Class 10 English students have been given on studiestoday.
Reading CBSE Class 10 English Notes
Regular notes reading helps to build a more comprehensive understanding of Reading concepts. notes play a crucial role in understanding Reading in CBSE Class 10. Students can download all the notes, worksheets, assignments, and practice papers of the same chapter in Class 10 English in Pdf format. You can print them or read them online on your computer or mobile.
Notes for CBSE English Class 10 Reading
CBSE Class 10 English latest books have been used for writing the above notes. If you have exams then you should revise all concepts relating to Reading by taking out a print and keeping them with you. We have also provided a lot of Worksheets for Class 10 English which you can use to further make yourself stronger in English
You can download notes for Class 10 English Reading for latest academic session from StudiesToday.com
Yes, you can click on the link above and download notes PDFs for Class 10 English Reading which you can use for daily revision
Yes, the notes issued for Class 10 English Reading have been made available here for latest CBSE session
You can easily access the link above and download the Class 10 Notes for English Reading for each topic in Pdf
There is no charge for the notes for CBSE Class 10 English Reading, you can download everything free of charge
www.studiestoday.com is the best website from which you can download latest notes for Reading English Class 10
Come to StudiesToday.com to get best quality topic wise notes for Class 10 English Reading
We have provided all notes for each topic of Class 10 English Reading as per latest CBSE syllabus