Read and download NCERT Class 9 EVS Save endangered species chapter in NCERT book for Class 9 Environmental Studies. You can download latest NCERT eBooks for 2021 chapter wise in PDF format free from Studiestoday.com. This Environmental Studies textbook for Class 9 is designed by NCERT and is very useful for students. Please also refer to the NCERT solutions for Class 9 Environmental Studies to understand the answers of the exercise questions given at the end of this chapter
18. Save endangered species
All the living organisms, be it plants, animals or microorganisms, have a specific role to play in the ecosystem in which they exist. Some of these organisms face the risk of becoming extinct because of decreasing numbers that are caused by destruction of their habitat, hunting, poaching, excessive utilisation, etc. These are called endangered species. Many countries, including India, have laws that forbid hunting of such species. Endangered animals are also preserved in reserved forests. However, some species are also dying silently. We need to do something to prevent their extinction in order to maintain the ecological balance.
1. List ten endangered species, each under the categories of birds and other animals of both land and water in our country.
2. Locate and describe the regions to which they belong (for example on a map).
3. Find out the causes of their declining numbers.
4. Prepare a flow chart to show the decrease in their numbers over the past ten years.
5. List the sanctuaries, national parks and reserve forests where these endangered species are looked after.
6. List steps which can save them from extinction.
Prepare a report on the basis of your study giving pictures and habitats of the animals.
1. Try to publish the study in a magazine or a newspaper.
2. Try to find out the reasons why certain species have become extinct in the past.
3. Organise a debate in your class on whether cloning of endangered animals is an appropriate solution for their conservation.
Please refer to attached file for NCERT Class 9 EVS Save endangered species
Click for more Environmental Studies Study Material ›