NCERT Class 11 English Elective Refugee Blues. Download NCERT Chapters and Books in pdf format. Easy to print and read. Copies of these textbooks may be downloaded and used as textbooks or for reference. Refer to other chapters and books at other links (NCERT now providing you soft copies of all textbooks of all subjects from class first to twelfth online).
Say this city has ten million souls, Some are living in mansions, some are living in holes: Yet there’s no place for us, my dear, yet there’s no place for us. Once we had a country and we thought it fair, Look in the atlas and you’ll find it there: We cannot go there now, my dear, we cannot go there now.
In the village churchyard there grows an old yew, Every spring it blossoms anew: Old passports can’t do that, my dear, old passports can’t do that.The consul banged the table and said: ‘If you’ve got no passport you’re officially dead’; But we are still alive, my dear, but we are still alive. Went to a committee; they offered me a chair; Asked me politely to return next year;
But where shall we go today, my dear, but where shall we go today? Came to a public meeting; the speaker got up and said: ‘If we let them in, they will steal our daily bread’; He was talking of you and me, my dear, he was talking of you and me.
Thought I heard the thunder rumbling in the sky; It was Hitler over Europe, saying: ‘they must die’; We were in his mind, my dear, we were in his mind.
UNDERSTANDING THE POEM
1. The title, ‘Refugee Blues’ encapsulates the theme of the poem. Comment.
2. What is the poetic technique used by the poet to convey the plaintive theme of the poem?
3. What do the references to the birds and animals made in the poem suggest?
4. How does the poet juxtapose the human condition with the behaviour of the political class?
5. How is the essence of the poem captured in the lines ‘two tickets to Happiness’?
TRY THIS OUT
1. Here is a list of devices used in poetry. Elaborate on their use inthis poem
2. What does the colour ‘blue’ suggest in the poem? Make a list of other colours and the emotions and moods they carry.
Please refer to attached file for NCERT Class 11 English Elective Refugee Blues
Click for more English Study Material ›