1. Reading an unseen passage and a poem
(a) Literary or discursive passage of about 500-600 words
(b) A poem of about 15 lines
(a) To write an essay on an argumentative/discursive/reflective/or descriptive topic (150 words)
(b) To write a composition such as an article, a report, a speech (150 words)
- Presentation of a book review, a play, a short story, a novel, novella (tale, fable, parable) to be followed by a question answer session
- Poetry reading to be followed by interpretative tasks based on cloze reading and literary analysis of the text.
- Critical review of a film or a play
- Conducting a theatre workshop to be followed by a discussion
Note: The above activities would develop skills, analytical skills, spoken skills and literary criticism.
4. Text for detailed study
(a) Two passages for comprehension with short question answers testing deeper interpretation and drawing inferences
(b) Two questions for testing global comprehension (Any One to be answered in 100 words)
(c) Two short answer type questions testing comprehension to be answered in a paragraph of about 30-40 words each
(a) One extract from the prescribed poems for comprehension and literary interpretation
(b) One out of two questions on the prescribed poems for appreciation to be answered in 100 words
5. Drama - Arms and the Man
(a) One out of two questions to be answered in about 150-200 words to test the evaluation of characters, events and episodes.
(a) One question to be answered in about 150 words for the analysis of characters, events, episodes and interpersonal relationships.
(b) Two out of three short answer type questions to be answered in about 30-40 words on content, events and episodes.
Please refer to attached file for CBSE Class 11 English Elective Syllabus 2009-2010