Class XI (ENGLISH CORE)
SECTION - A
Reading unseen Passages for Comprehension and Note-making. Two unseen passages with a variety of questions including 5 marks for vocabulary such as words formation and inferring meaning. The total length of both the passages together should be around 1100 words.
1. The passages could be any of the following two types:
2. (a) Factual passages e.g. instructions, descriptions, reports.
(b) Discursive passages involving opinion e.g. argumentative, persuasive.
One of the passages should have about 600 words carrying 12 marks, the other passage should have about 500 words carrying 8 marks.
The passage carrying 08 marks should be used for testing note-making for 5 marks and testing vocabulary for 3 marks. Vocabulary for 2 marks may be tested in the other passage carrying 12 marks.
3. One out of two tasks such as a factual description of any event or incident, a report or a process based on verbal input provided (80-100 words).
4. One out of two compositions based on a visual and/or verbal input (in about 100-150 words). The output may be descriptive or argumentative in nature such as an article for publication in a newspaper or a school magazine or a speech.
5. Writing one out of two letters based on given input. Letter types include
(a) business or official letters (for making enquiries, registering complaints, asking for and giving information, placing orders and sending replies);
(b) letters to the editors (giving suggestions, opinions on an issue of public interest) or
(c) application for a job.
Different grammatical structures in meaningful contexts will be tested. Item types will include gap-filling, sentence-reordering, dialogue-completion and sentence-transformation. The grammar syllabus will include the following areas:
6. Determiners, Tenses, Clauses, Modals and Error Correction
7. Editing Task
8. Reordering of sentences
Please refer to attached file for CBSE Class 11 English Core Syllabus 2009-2010