Q1:- Read the passage and answer the questions that follow:-
Bee scientists always speak of the bee as she. It is because all the important bees are of that sex. In the hive there is one married bee, called the queen; she has fifty thousand children; of these; about one hundred are sons; the rest are daughters. Some of the daughters are young maids, some are old maids, and all are single and remain so.
Every spring the queen comes out of the hive and flies away with one of her sons and marries him. The honeymoon lasts only an hour or two; then the queen divorces her husband and returns home competent to lay two millions eggs. This will be enough to last the year, but not more than enough, because hundreds of bees get drowned every day, and other hundreds are eaten by birds, and it is the queen’s business to keep the population up to standard- say, fifty thousand. She must always have that many children on hand and efficient during the busy season, which is summer, or winter would catch the community short of food. She lays from two thousand to three thousand eggs a day, according to the demand; and she must exercise judgment, and not lay more than are needed in a slim flower –harvest, not fewer than are required in a prodigal one, or the board of directors will dethrone her and elect a queen that has more sense.
There are always a few royal heirs in stock and ready to take her place- ready and more than anxious to do it, although she is their own mother. These girls are kept by themselves, and are regally fed and tended from birth. No other bees get such fine food as they get, or live such a high and luxurious life. By consequence they are larger and longer and sleeker than their working sister. And they have a curved sting, shaped like a scimitar, while the others have a straight one.
A. Tick the most appropriate option:
a) The queen bee lays around
i) one thousand to two thousand eggs a day.
ii) two thousand to three thousand eggs a day.
iii) one to two eggs a day.
iv) none of the above.
b) Bees are
i) Community insects.
ii) Solitary insects.
iii) none of the above options
iv) both (i) and (ii)
B. Complete the sentences:
i) Some bees are better looked after than others, because________________.
ii) The queen bee may be dethroned if________________.
C. Answer the following question in 15 to 20 words.
i) Bee scientists always speak of the bee as she. Why?
Q2:- Read the poem given below and answer the questions that follow:
A REMARKABLE ADVENTURE
I was at my bedroom table I was rescued by an eagle
With a notebook open wide, that descended from the skies
when a giant anaconda to embrace me with its talons,
started winding up my side, to my terror and surprise,
I was filled with apprehension but that raptor lost its purchase
and retreated down the stairs, when a blizzard made me sneeze,
to be greeted at the bottom and it dropped me in a thicket,
by a dozen grizzly bears. Where I battered both my knees.
We tumultuously tussled I was suddenly surrounded
till I managed to get free, by a troop of savage trolls,
then I saw, with trepidation, who maliciously informed me
there were tigers after me, they would toast me over coals,
I could feel them growing close, I was lucky to elude them
I was quivering with fear, when they briefly looked away--
then I blundered into quicksand that’s the reason why my homework
and began to disappear. isn’t here with me today.
A. Tick the most appropriate option:
a) Why did the speakers retreat down the stairs?
i) He was afraid of the tiger.
i) He wanted to see the grizzly bears.
ii) His notebook was open wide.
iii) A giant anaconda was suddenly there in his bedroom.
b) What caused the speaker to stumble into the quicksand?
i) the tussle with the bears
i) the approaching trolls
ii) fear of the tigers closing in
iii) losing track of time
B. Complete the sentence.
i) The eagle dropped the speaker into a thicket because __________________
ii) The speaker did not bring his homework because _____________
Q3. You are Ravish/Ragini. You stay in the Hostel of Bishops School, Shimla. Write an e-mail to your sister describing the visit of your class to an old age home.
Q4: Write an email in about 120 words to your elder brother telling him about the Sports Day being organised in your school.
Q5: Write an e-mail to the Electrical Engineer complaining him about the regular electric cuts in your locality.
Q6: Rearrange the following sentences into meaningful sentences:-
3. settled/Police Inspector/the/matter/the /was/by
4. India/the /lives/Prime Minister/in/Delhi/of
5. Our protection/wear/we/must/for our/helmets
6. Of mankind/the habit/reading is/one of/resources/of/the greatest
7. Love/of others/good manners/and/win/the/respect
8. Inventions/armed/which/are/has/miracles/science/man with/not less than
9. Is/one/largest/of/the/Saudi Arabia/world/petroleum/in /the/of/producers
13. park/ amusement/favourite/my/is DisneyLand
15. India/globally/ product/as/an/integrated/tourism/promote/to /need/we
Q7: Punctuate the following sentences:-
1. Social science is the highest form of service to the motherland this idea was endorsed by all the Indians pioneers such as raja ram mohan roy vivekananda and mahatma Gandhi mahatma Gandhi equated social service with religious duties
2. r k narayan was the famous Indian writer in English all his characters hail from a fictional place called malgudi his novel the guide became very popular
3. keshav rested the basket against the branch and said go bring the water and rice let me get down and then you can climb up and have a look
4. the farmer let out a whistle here dolly he called out from the doghouse and down the ramp ran dolly followed by our little balls of fur
5. finally when the milk man was close to tears and about to go away the boy asked him if he would mix water in milk ever again the milkman touched his ears and said never never again
6. oh but if theres someone else youd like to invite
7. rai bahadur l k gupta had given him a silver medal finally at the age of sixtytwo arthritis affected his right thumb forcing him to retire
8. My precious darling wailed the mother shell die of fright open the door oh break it open cannt you men do something
9. G b shawazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa was an irish playwright and a cofounder of the London school of economics
10. ccs makes it easier to enhance the look of the different elements on a webpage.
Q8: Answer the following questions:-
1. How did doe save Penny’s life?
2. Describe how Jody brought the fawn back home.
3. Why do you think Jody’s father allowed Jody to bring the fawn home?
4. How did Jody feed the fawn?
5. “I am glad you found him.”
a) Who say these words to whom?
b) Why is the speaker glad?
Q9: Read the extract and answer the following questions:-
Not a crumb to be found
On the snow covered ground
Not a flower could he see
Not a leaf on a tree
Oh! What will become, “says the cricket of me?”
a) List the pairs of rhyming words from the paragraph.
b) Why does the cricket seem worried in the given lines?
c) Who was bold in these lines?
Q10: Answer the following questions:-
a) Describe the boy who was kidnapped by Bill and Sam?
b) What was the cause of Bill’s awful screams that woke Sam?
c) Write a character–sketch of Cordelia or King Lear in your own words.
How did Goneril treat her father?
Where did the Earl of Kent take King Lear?
Please click on below link to download CBSE Class 8 English Worksheet Set F