• Only candidates who appear for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 will be considered for ranking.
• The marks obtained by a candidate in Physics in JEE (Advanced) will be equal to the marks scored in Physics part of Paper 1 plus the marks scored in Physics part of Paper 2. Marks obtained in Chemistry and Mathematics will be calculated in the same way.
• The aggregate marks obtained by a candidate in JEE (Advanced) is the sum of the marks awarded to him/her in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
• Merit lists will be prepared based on the aggregate marks in JEE (Advanced) examinations.
• If the aggregate marks scored by two or more candidates are same, then the following tie-break policy will be used for awarding ranks:
Higher rank will be assigned to the candidate who has obtained higher marks in Mathematics. If this does not break the tie, higher rank will be assigned to the candidate who has obtained higher marks in Physics. If there is a tie even after this, candidates will be assigned the same rank.
• Merit lists for preparatory courses will be prepared only if the number of SC, ST, OBC-NCL-PwD, SC- PwD and ST-PwD candidates in the respective merit lists is less than 1.4 times the number of seats available in the respective categories. Common merit list (CML)-PwD preparatory merit list will be prepared if the total number of qualified PwD candidates is less than 1.4 times the total number of PwD seats.
• A candidate who qualifies in more than one category will be considered in all the categories to which he/she belongs for the purpose of ranking.
• There will be no waiting list for ranking.
• Only candidates who score the minimum prescribed marks in each subject in each paper and in aggregate will be included in the merit list. The minimum prescribed marks varies with the category. These are as shown in the following table.
Minimum percentage of marks prescribed for inclusion in the merit list
percentage of marks
in each subject
Common merit list (CML)
OBC-NCL merit list
SC merit list
ST merit list
GEN-PwD merit list
OBC-NCL-PwD merit list
SC-PwD merit list
ST-PwD merit list
Preparatory course merit lists