Read and download NCERT Class 9 English The Snake and the Mirror chapter in NCERT book for Class 9 English. You can download latest NCERT eBooks for 2021 chapter wise in PDF format free from Studiestoday.com. This English textbook for Class 9 is designed by NCERT and is very useful for students. Please also refer to the NCERT solutions for Class 9 English to understand the answers of the exercise questions given at the end of this chapter
The Snake And The Mirror Class 9 English NCERT
Class 9 English students should refer to the following NCERT Book chapter The Snake And The Mirror in standard 9. This NCERT Book for Grade 9 English will be very useful for exams and help you to score good marks
The Snake And The Mirror NCERT Class 9
The Snake and the Mirror
BEFORE YOU READ
• Do you like to look at yourself in the mirror? What do you think about at such times? Have you ever seen a dog, a cat or a bird look into a mirror? What do you think it sees?
• Now read this humorous story about a doctor, a snake, and a mirror.
1. “HAS a snake ever coiled itself round any part of your body? A full-blooded cobra?” All of us fell silent. The question came from the homeopath. The topic came up when we were discussing snakes. We listened attentively as the doctor continued with his tale. It was a hot summer night; about ten o’clock. I had my meal at the restaurant and returned to my room. I heard a noise from above as I opened the door. The sound was a familiar one. One could say that the rats and I shared the room. I took out my box of matches and lighted the kerosene lamp on the table.
2. The house was not electrified; it was a small rented room. I had just set up medical practice and my earnings were meagre. I had about sixty rupees in my suitcase. Along with some shirts and dhotis, I also possessed one solitary black coat which I was then wearing.
3. I took off my black coat, white shirt and not-sowhite vest and hung them up. I opened the two windows in the room. It was an outer room with one wall facing the open yard. It had a tiled roof with long supporting gables that rested on the beam over the wall. There was no ceiling. There was a regular traffic of rats to and from the beam. I made my bed and pulled it close to the wall. I lay down but I could not sleep. I got up and went out to the veranda for a little air, but the wind god seemed to have taken time off.
4. I went back into the room and sat down on the chair. I opened the box beneath the table and took out a book, the Materia Medica. I opened it at the table on which stood the lamp and a large mirror; a small comb lay beside the mirror. One feels tempted to look into a mirror when it is near one. I took a look. In those days I was a great admirer of beauty and I believed in making myself look handsome. I was unmarried and I was a doctor. I felt I had to make my presence felt. I picked up the comb and ran it through my hair and adjusted the parting so that it looked straight and neat. Again I heard that sound from above.
5. I took a close look at my face in the mirror. I made an important decision — I would shave daily and grow a thin moustache to look more handsome. I was after all a bachelor, and a doctor! I looked into the mirror and smiled. It was an attractive smile. I made another earth-shaking decision. I would always keep that attractive smile on my face ... to look more handsome. I was after all a bachelor, and a doctor too on top of it! Again came that noise from above.
Thinking about Language
I. Here are some sentences from the text. Say which of them tell you, that the author: (a) was afraid of the snake, (b) was proud of his appearance, (c) had a sense of humour, (d) was no longer afraid of the snake.
1. I was turned to stone.
2. I was no mere image cut in granite.
3. The arm was beginning to be drained of strength.
4. I tried in my imagination to write in bright letters outside my little heart the words, ‘O God’.
5. I didn’t tremble. I didn’t cry out.
6. I looked into the mirror and smiled. It was an attractive smile.
7. I was suddenly a man of flesh and blood.
8. I was after all a bachelor, and a doctor too on top of it!
9. The fellow had such a sense of cleanliness...! The rascal could have taken it and used it after washing it with soap and water.
10. Was it trying to make an important decision about growing a moustache or using eye shadow and mascara or wearing a vermilion spot on its forehead.
II. Expressions used to show fear
Can you find the expressions in the story that tell you that the author was frightened? Read the story and complete the following sentences.
1. I was turned .
2. I sat there holding .
3. In the light of the lamp I sat there like .
III. In the sentences given below some words and expressions are italicised. They are variously mean that one
• is very frightened.
• is too scared to move.
• is frightened by something that happens suddenly.
• makes another feel frightened.
Please refer to attached file for NCERT Class 9 English The Snake and the Mirror
Click for more English Study Material ›
|NCERT Class 9 English The Fun They Had|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Sound of Music|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Little Girl|
|NCERT Class 9 English A Truly Beautiful Mind|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Snake and the Mirror|
|NCERT Class 9 English My Childhood|
|NCERT Class 9 English Packing|
|NCERT Class 9 English Reach for the Top|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Bond of Love|
|NCERT Class 9 English Kathmandu|
|NCERT Class 9 English If I Were You|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Lost Child|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Adventures of Toto|
|NCERT Class 9 English Iswaran the Storyteller|
|NCERT Class 9 English In the Kingdom of Fools|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Happy Prince|
|NCERT Class 9 English Weathering the Storm in Ersama|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Last Leaf|
|NCERT Class 9 English A House Is Not a Home|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Accidental Tourist|
|NCERT Class 9 English The Beggar|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 1|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 2|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 3|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 4|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 5|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 6|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 7|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 8|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 9|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 10|
|NCERT Class 9 English Words and Expressions Unit 11|