Unit I: Human growth &development II
a. Play (birth-5 years), role of play in growth & development of children. Types of playactive, passive, natural, serious and exploratory, selection of play material for children.
b. Childhood(3 to11 years)-Age specific milestones- Physical, motor, social,emotional, cognitive and language
c. Adolescents : Special Features- Physical and biological, motor ,social, emotional,Cognitive and language
Unit II: Management of Resources: Time, Energy and Money
a) Time Management - Definition and Importance
b) Time plans - Factors affecting time plan
c) Energy Management : Definition and Importance
d) Fatigue and work Simplification
Unit III: Food and Personal Hygiene
a) Principles of hygienic handling and serving of food
b) Hygiene in kitchen
c) Personal hygiene of food handler
d) Hygiene during food storage
Unit IV: Meal Planning
a) Concept of Meal Planning
b) Factors affecting meal planning - age, sex, climate, occupation, cost of food items, number of family members, occasion, availability of food, family traditions, likes and dislikes
c) Basic food groups given by ICMR
d) Use of food groups in planning balanced meal for self and family.
Unit V: Food Safety and Consumer Education
a) Problems faced by Consumer- Price variation, poor quality, Faulty weights and measures, Non-availability of goods, Misleading information, Lack of standardized products
b) Food adulteration : Concept, adulterants(Metanil yellow,Argemone ,Kesari dal) and harmful effects of these adulterants on human health,
c) Food Safety Standards-FSSAI (2006)
Unit VI: Care and Maintenance of Fabrics and Apparel
a) Cleaning and finishing agents used in routine care of clothes.
b) Stain Removal
c) Storage of cotton, silk, wool and synthetics
Practical 30 Marks
1. Make a suitable play material for children between birth to 5 years (group activity)
2. Plan a balanced meal for yourself.
3. Make a time plan to self for one day.
4. Write a report on any five malpractices you have observed in the market and write your responsibilities as a consumer in each context.
5. Prepare a slogan/poster to create awareness on consumer education
6. Remove stains from white cotton fabric: curry, grease, ball pen ink, lipstick, tea and coffee
7. List five areas of agreement and disagreement each with parents, siblings and friends, and give your suggestion to improve the relationships.
SCHEME FOR PRACTICAL EXAMINATION
CLASS X HOME SCIENCE
I LAB ACTIVITY Marks
a) Plan a balanced meal for yourself 5 Marks
b) Prepare a time plan for self for one day 5 Marks
c) Remove any two stain from white cotton 5 marks
sample- curry, grease, ball pen ink, lipstick,
tea and coffee
II Play Material 8 Marks
III File Work 5 Marks
IV Viva 2 Marks