CBSE Class 9 English - Revision (4)
Worksheets have become an integral part of the education system. Worksheets are very critical for every student to practice his/ her concepts. Students, teachers and parents can download all CBSE educational material and extremely well prepared worksheets from this website. All revision worksheets, Sample papers, Question banks and easy to learn study notes for all classes and subjects have been prepared based on the latest guidelines sent by CBSE. All CBSE educational material is developed by our panel of teachers, have also been submitted by thousands of teachers and students. The study material has been carefully compiled by the best teachers in India. Worksheets have been submitted by teachers of various CBSE schools and also have been carefully developed keeping into consideration the latest CBSE syllabus.
Q.1. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow
1. Imagine 100 people walking on a beach in the middle of the night, stopping every once in a
while to search for turtle eggs and hatchlings! I was a part of this walk recently in the heart of
Chennai in Tamil Nadu! Our aim was to take them to the safety of a ‘hatchery’.
2. As we trudged along the beach, we came across the tractor-like tracts of a turtle that must have
come ashore to lay her eggs. The tracks are unmistakable. These are caused by the feet and back
flippers of the turtle as it drags itself across the sand. But try as we might, we could not locate the
nest that the turtle must have dug to drop its eggs. An hour later, we came across another set of
tracts, and this time located the nest.
3. As our expert guides dug, a wave of excitement went through the group…one by one, turtle
hatchlings emerged from the hole. They began walking and we guided them to the sea so they
could swim off. We found and released 87!
4. This night exercise has been a part of the unique “turtle walk” organized by conservationists in
Chennai for the last 20 years! Every year when the nesting season of the Olive Ridley turtles
comes around, people gather to patrol the beach every night. They ensure that no one digs up the
eggs or hatchlings to eat them, and when they find eggs, they transfer them to a safe enclosed
5. Why do they need to do this? Because the Chennai beach is visited by thousands of people,
and by dogs, and the turtles could easily be disturbed or dug up.
6. Another threat faced by the hatchling is the lighting across the beach. When they emerge from
the nest, these turtles look for the brightest part of the horizon and head there. In natural
conditions, this would be the sea. In Chennai, however, it is now brighter inland than at the sea!
Chennai’s turtle volunteers spend hours every night to ensure that this does not happen.
1. Why do The Olive Ridley turtles come ashore?
2. Why were the author and others looking for turtle eggs?
3. Turtle eggs and hatchlings are in danger of _________________
4. Why do the hatchlings not head towards the sea on their own?
5. The word (in para 4 ) in the passage which means the same as “people engaged in
Please click the below link to access CBSE Class 9 English - Revision (4)
Click for more English Study Material ›