GRASSLANDS OF THE TEMPERATE ZONE
I NAME THE FOLLOWING.
1. The grasslands of Russia. ___________________
2. The grasslands of North America. ______________
3. Largest exporter of wheat in the world. _____________________
4. Vast, open grasslands in which animals are reared. ______________
5. The Wheat Basket of the world. ______________________
II FILL IN THE BLANKS WITH APPROPRIATE ANSWER.
1. Most of the grasslands are located in the ________________zone.
2. The Prairies are covered with ___________and hardly any trees are found there.
3. Before the coming of the European settlers, the Prairies were used as __________________.
4. Presence of large quantities of _______ in the soil makes it very fertile.
5. The word ‘Prairie' comes from a French word meaning _____________.
6. Water is available in plenty from _____________ and _____________ rivers and their tributaries.
7. The winters are ________and summers are ______ in the Prairies.
8. The main crops other than wheat grown in prairies are ___________,_______________, ________________and ________________.
9. Ranches and slaughter houses are equipped with. _____________
III CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER:
1. Grains used for feeding cattle
a. Wheat b. Oats c. Barley d. Rice
2. . The animal which once roamed freely in the Prairies
a. Horse b. Sheep c. Bison d. Dog
3. The Wheat Basket of the World.
a. Prairies b. Pampas c. Downs d. Steppes
4. An important slaughtering Centre in North America
a. Ontario b. Chicago c. Dakota d. Alberta
5. The word Prairie comes from this language
a. English b. German c. French d. Latin
IV WRITE TRUE OR FALSE.
1. The grasslands of Russia are called Pampas. ___________
2. Rice is the main crop grown in the Prairies. _____________
3. There are almost no trees in grasslands. _____________
4. The Prairies are located in the Temperate zone. ____________
5. The soil in the western part of the Prairies is very fertile. ___________
V ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IN 2 POINTS.
1 Where are the Prairies located?
2. Why Prairies are called the “Wheat Basket of the World”?
3. Name the grasslands of the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere.
VI ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IN 4 POINTS.
4 Cattle rearing is important in the hilly regions of the west .Explain.
5 Throw light on the climate of the Prairies.
VII ON THE OUTLINE MAP OF THE WORLD, MARK AND LABEL THE FOLLOWING.
1. PRAIRIES 2. PAMPAS 3. STEPPES
4. DOWNS 5. VELDS
Please click on below link to download CBSE Class 5 Social Science Grasslands Of The Temperate Zone Worksheet