NEET UG Biology Molecular Basis of Inheritance. NEET UG students can acces the biggest database of MCQs on Studiestoday.com. This collection of MCQs have been prepared by the best NEET teachers in the country. NEET students should download and practice these questions to get better marks in examinations.
Chapter-6. Molecular Basis of Inheritance
DNA :- Deoxy ribonucleic acid is the largest biomolecule which has polynucleotide chains with specific arrangement of nitrogen bases that posses coded information of Cryptogram of a large number of hereditary traits
1. Friedrich Miescher - isolated nucleic acid and named nuclein
2. Zacharis - Found nuclein to be restricted to chromatin
3. Alt man - named nuclein of nucleic acid
4. Fisher - discovered purine and pyrimidine bases
5. Chargoff - found purine and pyrimidine content of DNA to be equal with A = T and G = C ( = equal to )
6. Franklin - found DNA to be helix
7. Watson Crick & Wilkins - Double helical model of DNA
8. Linus Pauling - a Nobel Laurete for unravelling protein structure
Functions of DNA :-
1. Autocatalytic Function :- DNA direct its own biosynthesis at the time of DNA replication
2. HeteroCatalytic Function :- Directing Synthesis of another biochemical is called heterocatalytic function
Ex :- Synthesis of RNA over DNA template
In 1948 Beadle and Tatum proposed one-gene one engyme hypothesis which states that a gene controls metabolic machinery of the organism through synthesis of an enzyme. This laid foundation of biochemical genetics
One - Gene and one Polypeptide hypothesis was proposed by Yanofsky (1965). It states that a structural genes specifies the synthesis of a single polypeptide
Ex :- Haemoglobin is made of two α and two β chains (polypeptides) Two separate genes play vital role in synthesis of two different (α and β ) Chains.
Cistron - In biochemical genetics the term gene is replaced by cistron
Regulatory gene - Which controls the functioning of structural genes
Structural gene - Produces biochemicals required for cellular machinery
Split gene - In this coding, bases are not continuous but are interrupted by non- coding sequences
These are respectively called as exons and introns Functional m - RNA is formed by splicing removal of intron portions and fusion of coding parts / Exon portions
A Few enkaryotic genes are without intorns. They are called exonic genes ( = not split genes) / Processed genes Ex :- histone genes, interferon genes
House - Keeping genes (or) Constitative genes:- Those genes which are always in action because
their products are always required for cellular activities
Ex :- ATPase, Enzymes of glycolysis
Non -Constitutive genes :- Genes which can be switched on or off as per requierments
Types of Non Constitutive genes :-
(i) Inducible - non - constitutive genes :- Remain repressed but are switched on in the presence of an inducer chemical
Ex :- Lac - operon
(ii) Repressible - non Constitutive genes :- Remain active till switched off by a chemical
Ex :- Tryptophan operon
Single copy genes :- They are represented only once in the which genome
Repeated genes :-Genes having more than one copy in the same genome are called repeated genes
Ex :- histone genes
Cryptic genes :- Genes which are not expressed during the life cyle of an organism
Overlapping genes :- Reported in φ x 174 Virus Three of its genes (E, B and K) overlap others Transposons / Jumping genes :- DNA seqments Which can pass from one place to another in the genome
Transposons may take strong promoters to new sites or cause reshuffling of gene Segments Which lead to change in gene expression
Ex :- Proto oncogene Oncogene
Tumour Suppressing genes :- Checks unrestricted cell cycles
DNA finger printing :- Dermatoglyphics : Derma - Skin, glyphein - to carve
Please refer to the file below - NEET UG Biology Molecular Bass of Inheritance
Latest CBSE News
- CBSE has withdrawn the circular issued in 2017 regarding Uniform Assessment system for class 6 to class 9 in line with the changes done for class 10 and class 12 where board examinations have been introduced again. Schools have been advised to follow the same examination pattern which has been followed by the schools itself and no change have been advised in that now and all changes suggested by...
- Watch here Padmavati by NCERT - Rani Padmini यह कार्यक्रम चित्तौड़ के राणा रतन सिंह की पत्नी रानी पद्मिनी के जौहर और दिल्ली के सुल्तान अलाउद्दीन खिलजी के चित्तौड़गढ़ पर आक्रमण का वर्णन करता है
- Google has partnered with NCERT to educate children on Digital Citizenship and Safety. As per latest news from Google, they will help NCERT in designing study material on awareness on being good and responsible digital citizens. This new curriculum will be introduced in computers or Information and Communication Technology (ICT) curriculum in schools from class 1 till class 12. Nowadays students...
- CBSE has issued instructions to all affiliated schools to make arrangements in school premises so that the students can listen to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's interaction with students 'Pariksha Par Charcha'. This year PM Modi will interact with students in a program 'Pariksha Par Charcha' which will be held on 16th February 2018. The broadcast will be done in all schools and on various news...
- As the exams are approaching PM Mr Narendra Modi has given a motivating message to students and has also launched a book which will help the students to beat stress and be a warrior and score good marks in the upcoming examinations. Watch Video here..