NEET UG Biology Molecular Basis of Inheritance. NEET UG students can acces the biggest database of MCQs on Studiestoday.com. This collection of MCQs have been prepared by the best NEET teachers in the country. NEET students should download and practice these questions to get better marks in examinations.
Chapter-6. Molecular Basis of Inheritance
DNA :- Deoxy ribonucleic acid is the largest biomolecule which has polynucleotide chains with specific arrangement of nitrogen bases that posses coded information of Cryptogram of a large number of hereditary traits
1. Friedrich Miescher - isolated nucleic acid and named nuclein
2. Zacharis - Found nuclein to be restricted to chromatin
3. Alt man - named nuclein of nucleic acid
4. Fisher - discovered purine and pyrimidine bases
5. Chargoff - found purine and pyrimidine content of DNA to be equal with A = T and G = C ( = equal to )
6. Franklin - found DNA to be helix
7. Watson Crick & Wilkins - Double helical model of DNA
8. Linus Pauling - a Nobel Laurete for unravelling protein structure
Functions of DNA :-
1. Autocatalytic Function :- DNA direct its own biosynthesis at the time of DNA replication
2. HeteroCatalytic Function :- Directing Synthesis of another biochemical is called heterocatalytic function
Ex :- Synthesis of RNA over DNA template
In 1948 Beadle and Tatum proposed one-gene one engyme hypothesis which states that a gene controls metabolic machinery of the organism through synthesis of an enzyme. This laid foundation of biochemical genetics
One - Gene and one Polypeptide hypothesis was proposed by Yanofsky (1965). It states that a structural genes specifies the synthesis of a single polypeptide
Ex :- Haemoglobin is made of two α and two β chains (polypeptides) Two separate genes play vital role in synthesis of two different (α and β ) Chains.
Cistron - In biochemical genetics the term gene is replaced by cistron
Regulatory gene - Which controls the functioning of structural genes
Structural gene - Produces biochemicals required for cellular machinery
Split gene - In this coding, bases are not continuous but are interrupted by non- coding sequences
These are respectively called as exons and introns Functional m - RNA is formed by splicing removal of intron portions and fusion of coding parts / Exon portions
A Few enkaryotic genes are without intorns. They are called exonic genes ( = not split genes) / Processed genes Ex :- histone genes, interferon genes
House - Keeping genes (or) Constitative genes:- Those genes which are always in action because
their products are always required for cellular activities
Ex :- ATPase, Enzymes of glycolysis
Non -Constitutive genes :- Genes which can be switched on or off as per requierments
Types of Non Constitutive genes :-
(i) Inducible - non - constitutive genes :- Remain repressed but are switched on in the presence of an inducer chemical
Ex :- Lac - operon
(ii) Repressible - non Constitutive genes :- Remain active till switched off by a chemical
Ex :- Tryptophan operon
Single copy genes :- They are represented only once in the which genome
Repeated genes :-Genes having more than one copy in the same genome are called repeated genes
Ex :- histone genes
Cryptic genes :- Genes which are not expressed during the life cyle of an organism
Overlapping genes :- Reported in φ x 174 Virus Three of its genes (E, B and K) overlap others Transposons / Jumping genes :- DNA seqments Which can pass from one place to another in the genome
Transposons may take strong promoters to new sites or cause reshuffling of gene Segments Which lead to change in gene expression
Ex :- Proto oncogene Oncogene
Tumour Suppressing genes :- Checks unrestricted cell cycles
DNA finger printing :- Dermatoglyphics : Derma - Skin, glyphein - to carve
Please refer to the file below - NEET UG Biology Molecular Bass of Inheritance
Latest CBSE News
- Google has tied up with CBSE to help them to show results for the board exams for class 10 and class 12. The CBSE results website faces huge pressure during the results day with thousands of students struggling with the slow speed of the website to get their results. In the past this has led to server going really slow or not responding at all. This year to meet the demand of millions of students...
- Are your looking to buy NCERT books ? Now its easier than ever. NCERT has started home delivery of books to make the books easily available for all students. There have been many cases reported where the books have gone out of stock in certain smaller cities and it takes weeks to months for the books to reach the sellers and then to the students. Now all NCERT books from class 1 to class 12 will...
- There have been speculations that the results for class 12 and class 10 board exams might be delayed this year due to multiple reasons like examinations conducted after a gap of many years, re examination conducted for class 12 economics paper, coordination requirements amongst schools and CBSE etc. CBSE has not notified any specific date for the declaration of the results but as per an official...
- The government of Delhi has instructed 575 schools to return excess fees charged from parents with 9% interest. The list of the 575 schools is as under. Also, the notice issued by the govt says " In continuation of orders dated 22.02.2018, 03.07.2017, 01.07.2016, 15.03.2016, 20.10.2015, 21.10.2014 and 28.02.2013 and in exercise of the powers conferred under rule SO(xviii) j Section 24(3...
- Most of the state boards in India have started declaring results for the class 10 and class 12 board examination conducted this year. The checking of mark sheets have already started with teachers busy evaluation more than 1.5 crore students across the country. Many boards have also announced the tentative dates on which the results will be declared. CBSE is yet to announce the dates, as slight...
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has made it mandatory for all CBSE affiliated schools to introduce physical education for classes 9 to class 12. The schools have been given option to make it mandatory for junior classes also. CBSE wants the subject to be part of other mainstream subjects to increase awareness amongst students on health and fitness. One period daily will have to be...
- There was no curriculum designed or suggested by NCERT for pre school students due to which pre schools follow their own curriculum and prepare the students to attend regular school. In order to standardize the education system in pre schools also NCERT has come out with suggested curriculum for pre school students also. NCERT has come out with two documents:-“Guidelines for Preschool Education”...