CBSE class 6 mathematics maths covers topics knowing our numbers, whole numbers, symmetry, playing with numbers, factors and multiples, understanding elementary shapes, constructions, ratio proportion, basic geometrical ideas, integers, fractions, decimals, data handling, mensuration, perimeter and area, algebra, practical geometry, shapes, access study material for mathematics maths, students can free download in pdf, practice to get better marks in examinations. all study material has been prepared based on latest guidelines, term examination pattern and blueprint issued by cbse and ncert
click on tabs below for class 6 mathematics maths worksheets, assignments, syllabus, ncert cbse books, ncert solutions, hots, multiple choice questions (mcqs), easy to learn concepts and study notes of all class 6 mathematics maths chapters, online tests, value based questions (vbqs), sample papers and last year solved question papers
Class 6 mathematics syllabus, examination structure and important topics. The syllabus for class 6 is mainly driven by the topics given in the mathematics books issued by NCERT books, most of the schools are also recommending books of other publishers which have additional worksheets, which the students can practice to score better in class tests and school level examinations. Details of important topics is given below:
Number System (60 hrs)
(i). Knowing our Numbers:
Consolidating the sense of number ness up to 5 digits, Size, estimation of numbers, identifying smaller, larger, etc. Place value (recapitulation and extension), connectives: use of symbols =, >, < <,>and use of brackets, word problems on number operations involving large numbers up to a maximum of 5 digits in the answer after all operations. This would include conversions of units of length & mass (from the larger to the smaller units), estimation of outcome of number operations. Introduction to a sense of the largeness of, and initial familiarity with, large numbers up to 8 digits and approximation of large numbers)
(ii). Playing with Numbers:
Simplification of brackets, Multiples and factors, divisibility rule of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11. (All these through observing patterns. Children would be helped in deducing some and then asked to derive some that are a combination of the basic patterns of divisibility.) Even/odd and prime/composite numbers, Co-prime numbers, prime factorization, every number can be written as products of prime factors. HCF and LCM, prime factorization and division method for HCF and LCM, the property LCM × HCF = product of two numbers. All this is to be embedded in contexts that bring out the significance and provide motivation to the child for learning these ideas.
(iii). Whole numbers
Natural numbers, whole numbers, properties of numbers (commutative, associative, distributive, additive identity, multiplicative identity), number line. Seeing patterns, identifying and formulating rules to be done by children. (As familiarity with algebra grows, the child can express the generic pattern.)
(iv).Negative Numbers and Integers
How negative numbers arise, models of negative numbers, connection to daily life, ordering of negative numbers, and representation of negative numbers on number line. Children to see patterns identify and formulate rules. What are integers, identification of integers on the number line, operation of addition and subtraction of integers, showing the operations on the number line (addition of negative integer reduces the value of the number) comparison of integers, ordering of integers.
(v). Fractions: Revision of what a fraction is, Fraction as a part of whole, Representation of fractions (pictorially and on number line), fraction as a division, proper, improper & mixed fractions, equivalent fractions, comparison of fractions, addition and subtraction of fractions (Avoid large and complicated unnecessary tasks). (Moving towards abstraction in fractions) Review of the idea of a decimal fraction, place value in the context of decimal fraction, inter conversion of fractions and decimal fractions (avoid recurring decimals at this stage), word Problems involving addition and subtraction of decimals (two operations together on money, mass, length and temperature)
Algebra (15 hrs.)
Introduction To Algebra
- Introduction to variable through patterns and through appropriate word problems and generalizations (example 5 × 1 = 5 etc.)
- Generate such patterns with more examples.
- Introduction to unknowns through examples with simple contexts (single operations)
Ratio and Proportion (15 hrs.)
- Concept of Ratio
- Proportion as equality of two ratios
- Unitary method (with only direct variation implied)
- Word problems
Geometry (65 hrs.)
(i).Basic geometrical ideas (2 -D):
Introduction to geometry. Its linkage with and reflection in everyday experience.
Line, line segment, ray.
Open and closed figures.
Interior and exterior of closed figures.
Curvilinear and linear boundaries
Angle — Vertex, arm, interior and exterior,
Triangle — vertices, sides, angles, interior and exterior, altitude and median
Quadrilateral — Sides, vertices, angles, diagonals, adjacent sides and opposite sides (only convex quadrilateral are to be discussed), interior and exterior of a quadrilateral.
Circle — Centre, radius, diameter, arc, sector, chord, segment, semicircle, circumference, interior and exterior.
(i). Understanding Elementary
Shapes (2-D and 3-D):
- Measure of Line segment
- Measure of angles
- Pair of lines – Intersecting and perpendicular lines – Parallel lines
- Types of angles- acute, obtuse, right, straight, reflex, complete and zero angle
- Classification of triangles (on the basis of sides, and of angles)
- Types of quadrilaterals – Trapezium, parallelogram, rectangle, square, rhombus.
- Simple polygons (introduction) (Up to octagons regulars as well as non-regular).
- Identification of 3-D shapes: Cubes, Cuboids, cylinder, sphere, cone, prism (triangular), pyramid (triangular and square) Identification and locating in the surroundings
- Elements of 3-D figures. (Faces, Edges and vertices)
- Nets for cube, cuboids, cylinders, cones and tetrahedrons.
- Observation and identification of 2-D symmetrical objects for reflection symmetry
- Operation of reflection (taking mirror images) of simple 2-D objects
- Recognising reflection symmetry (identifying axes)
(iv).Constructions (using Straight edge Scale, protractor, compasses) • Drawing of a line segment
- Construction of circle
- Perpendicular bisector
- Construction of angles (using protractor)
- Angle 60°, 120° (Using Compasses)
- Angle bisector- making angles of 30°, 45°, 90° etc. (using compasses)
- Angle equal to a given angle (using compass)
- Drawing a line perpendicular to a given line from a point a) on the line b) outside the line.
Mensuration (15 hrs.)
CONCEPT OF PERIMETER AND INTRODUCTION TO AREA
Introduction and general understanding of perimeter using many shapes. Shapes of different kinds with the same perimeter. Concept of area, Area of a rectangle and a square Counter examples to different misconnects related to perimeter and area.
Perimeter of a rectangle – and its special case – a square. Deducing the formula of the perimeter for a rectangle and then a square through pattern and generalization.
Data handling (10 hrs.)
(i).What is data - choosing data to examine a hypothesis?
(ii). Collection and organization of data - examples of organizing it in tally bars and a table.
(iii). Pictograph- Need for scaling in pictographs interpretation & construction. (iv).Making bar graphs for given data interpreting bar graphs+.
Latest CBSE News
- Get NCERT solution for Class 10 at no cost. Yes, you heard it right STUDIES TODAY is offering students NCERT solutions for free. What are you waiting for! Go subscribe to STUDIES TODAY newsletter today to get more updates on NCERT solutions for more. Class 10th is the most important juncture of students life, Where studies stand at the foremost amongst other priorities. With cutthroat competition...
- In line with the Digital India mission of PM Modi, CBSE has planned to send mark sheets and other related documents for class 10 and class 12 students digitally via digital lockers. This move will help more than 80 lakh students to get their documents like marksheets, migration certificates and passing certificates on the date of declaration of results itself. The certificates and other documents...
- NCERT is currently in the process of revising the books of all classes based on the syllabus recommendations received from parents across the country and recommendations from CBSE and government. The soft copies of the current version of the NCERT books are also available on NCERT website and on studiestoday.com for free download by students. NCERT has also kick started the process of introducing...
- The HRD ministry is working on revising the syllabus for all classes. The revised syllabus will be applicable from session starting in 2019. Suggestions were invited from Students, teachers and parents through the link provided on the HRD website. Based on the suggestion the teams at HRD, CBSE and NCERT are working on the new education policy and revised syllabus for all classes. It was announced...
- STUDIES TODAY is offering CBSE sample paper for free. CBSE sample papers are the last stage of preparation for many students ( and starting for few) of 10 standard. When you are at the stage of your session, where you have finished the course 2 months ago and revising it for a millionth time and not sure where to start again. Then, my friend, you have reached the point where you have to test...
- Get all the NCERT provided material like NCERT solution for class 12 for free, Sample papers for class 12 are available on STUDIES TODAY. National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is the prescribed academic material brand by CBSE. Therefore, all the material are provided by NCERT like CBSE sample papers for class 12, NCERT solution for class 12 etc. The way these papers and...
- Download NCERT solutions for free offered by STUDIES TODAY. NCERT solution are now available for every class related to every subject at Studies today. What is NCERT solution? And how studies today alters it. NCERT solution are the already available solved and answered questions from NCERT notebooks by CBSE, to help students understand the requirement of coursework and how to answer them to...