Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow.(12marks)
1. Cycling is the best way to get in shape, enjoy the outdoors, and have fun while you’re doing it. Unfortunately, many people think bicycles are for kids and often overlook the positive physical and psychological health benefits of cycling.Cycling offers a range of economic and health benefits beginning from zero carbon emission to reducing obesity. More and more people today have begun to rediscover cycling as a conscious and sensible lifestyle choice.
2. Cycling can burn off a bar of chocolate in an hour. A quick 15-minute ride every day to workplace can stimulate circulation and relieve stress, burning 6kg of fat in a year. To fast-track fitness, cycling up an incline is a fabulous way. One must also remember that riding a bicycle is a symbol of simple living-a positive attitude towards a more fulfilling life.Scientists at Stanford University have found that cycling regularly can protect your skin against the harmful effects of UV radiation and reduce the signs of ageing.Researchers from Illinois University found that a ﬁve percent improvement in cardio-respiratory ﬁtness from cycling led to an improvement of up to 15 percent in mental tests. That’s because cycling helps build new brain cells in the hippocampus – the region responsible for memory, which deteriorates from the age of 30.
3. Cycling can be fun too. The experience of cycling through the countryside can be exhilarating. Imagine how rejuvenated you will feel cycling through mustard fields.
4. On the environment, cycling is less stressful. Cycling is also a great way to avoid traffic as one is less threatened by traffic congestion and ‘road rage’. Bicycle commuters are a happier lot. They get less sick, therefore, are more productive workers. To squeeze exercise into an already busy day, cycle to workplace. An average person can thus burn 300 to 400 calories per day. Stronger heart and lungs, increased muscle mass, and a less stressed constitution are what one gets in the bargain. Wait, there’s more. It keeps one young as it takes 10 years off one’s actual age.
A.1 Choose the correct option to answer the questions Complete the following sentences (1x3=3)
1. To burn the calories generated by two bars of chocolates, you need to cycle approximately for…..
(i) 3 hours (ii) 1 hour (iii) 2 hours (iv) 4 hours
2. Cycling _________________ the hill can fast track fitness
(i) down the hill (ii) up the hill (iii) along the hill (iv) at the foothill
3.Road rage means a violent conflict
(i) With a fellow pedestrian (ii) with a fellow driver(iii) with a fellow passenger (iv) with a fellow trekker
A.2 Complete the following sentences: (2x3=6)
1.Cycling leads to an improvement of up to 15 percent in mental tests because _____________________________________________________________
2. More and more people today have begun ___________________________________
3. Cycling is also a great way to avoid traffic __________________________________
A.3 Find the words from the text which mean the following. (1x2=2)
1. Persons who travel some distance to work on a regular basis. (Para 4)
2.Encourage or arouse interest or enthusiasm in something. (Para 3)
A.4 Give a suitable title to the above passage. (1x1=1)