NCERT Solutions for Class 6th for Social Science History Chapter 11 New Empires And Kingdoms
Chapter 11– New empires and kingdom
Question 1.State whether True or False.
(a) Harishena composed a prashasti in praise of Gautamiputra Shri Satakarni. (False)
(b) The rulers of Aryavarta brought tribute for samudragupta.(False)
(c) There were twelve rulers in Dakshinapatha. (True)
(d) Taxila and Maduari were important centres under the control of Gupta rulers. (False)
(e) Aihole was the capital of the Pallavas. (False)
(f) Local assemblies functioned for several centuries in south India. (True)
Question 2.Mention two authors who wrote about Harsha-vardhana.
Answer. The two authors who wrote about Harsha-vardhana are:
(1) Banabhatta, who wrote harshacharita.
(2) Xuan-Zang , the Chinese traveller who left a detailed account of what he saw in the count.
Question 3.What changes do you find in the army at this time?
Answer. The changes made in the army at this time were:
(1) Like earlier rulers , the king maintained a well organize army, with elephants,chariots, cavalry and foot soldiers.
(2) There were military leaders who provided the king with troops whenever the king asked for them. They were not given regular salaries, but got grants of land . They collected the revenue and used it to maintain soldiers and horses and provide equipment for warfare. These men were known as samantas.
Question 4.What were the new administrative arrangements during this period ?
Answer. The new administrative arrangements during this period were:
1. Some important administrative posts were made hereditary, e.g, the poet Harishena was a maha-danda-nayaka or the cheif juidicial; officer, like his father.
2. One person held many offices, e.g, besides being a maha-danda-nayaka , Harishena was kumar-amatya which means an important minister, and a sandhi-vigrahika meaning minister of ward and peace.
3. Important men probably had a say in local administration. These inculoed negar-shreshti or chierf banker ormerchant of the city, the sarthavah or leader of the merchant caravans, the partrthamm-kulika or the cheif carftman and the head of the Kayasthas or scribes.
Question 5.What do you think Arvind would have to do if he was acting as Samundragupta?
Answer. If Arvind would have to do if he was acting as Samundragupta would have to :
(1) Lead the army and successfully plan his campaign in almost all parts of India.
(2) Establish an efficient administration and a strong government.
(3) Look after the welfare of the people.
(4) Hear complaints and decide cases.
Question 6.Do you think ordinary people would have read and understood the prashastis? Give reasons for your answer.
(1) The parashasti in praise of Samundragupta was written in sanskrit language, the language of the learned people.
(2) The parashasti was composed in very long sentences. So the people may not have understood the prashasti.
Question 7.If you had to make a genealogy for yourself, who are the people you would include in it? How many generations would you like to show? Make a chart and fill it.
Answer. If I have to a genealogy of myself. I will include 4 generations (counting myself) The names are given in Alphabets.
(a) I am (g) I am a small boy Girl.
(b) My father is (E) and mother (E1).
(c) My grandfather (B) and grandmother (B1).
(d) My great grandfather is (a) and My great grandmother is (A1).
Question 8. How do you think wars affect the lives of ordinary people today?
Answer. In the present times, the wars adversely affect the lives of the people e.g:
(a) The economy of the country is disrupted and prices of the essential commodities also start rising.
(b) There can be large scale destruction , caused due to air warfare.
(c) Chemical warfare and use of nuclear bombs can affect not only the present generation but also many generation to come.