NCERT Solutions for Class 5 English Marigold Poem 10 Malu Bhalu
1. Where did the polar bear live with her family.
Ans. The polar bear lived with her family in an icy lair.
2. What did Malu learn to do from her parents?
Ans. Malu learned to catch small and big fish. She learned all the things her parents knew.
3. Where did the Malu want to travel?
Ans. Malu wanted to travel beyond the blue sky.
4. What was it that Malu’s parents wanted her to learn?
Ans. Malu’s parents wanted her to learn how to swim.
5. Was Malu scared to swim? Did she learn easily?
Ans. Yes, Malu was scared to swim. But soon her fear was gone. She learned to swim easily.
6. Read the last two stanzas of the poem. Whom does ‘she’ stand for in both?
Ans. In the first stanza ‘she’ stands for Malu. In the second stanza ‘she’ stands for Malu’s mother.
7. Now write a detailed character sketch of Malu Bhalu.
Ans. Malu was a female bear. She was young. Her hair was white and bright. She was clever and learned to catch fish. She was adventurous. She was impatient to go far away from home. But she did how to swim. Her mother taught her how to swim. But she soon learned to swim naturally with her mother.
8. Read the following passage carefully. One day Meena plucks a mango and brings it home. Her grandmother gives the larger piece to Raju because he is a boy. Meena protests. After all, she brought the mango and she is the elder of the two. She insists she has a greater right over her share. Her father comes to her help and divides the mango equally. Now answer the questions.
(i) Who brought the mango home?
Ans. Meena brought the mango home.
(ii) Why did Meena’s grandmother give a larger piece to Raju?
Ans. Meena’s grandmother gave a larger piece to Raju because he was a boy.
(iii) Who do you think should have got the larger piece?
Ans. I think Meena should have get the larger piece.
9. Using the following clues write about yourself in the space below — name, place you live in, physical features, habits, likes and dislikes etc.
Ans. My name is Sunny. I am twelve years old. I live in Himachal village. I am 1.20 metres tall. I have fair skin, black hair and dark eyes. I have sharp nose and white sparkling teeth. I never speak loudly. I like reading story books. I don’t eat non-vegetarian.
10. What are the things your mother asks you to do?
Things you like to do
Things you do not like to do
Looking after my baby brother
Helping my grandparents
Getting up too early
11. Malu lived with Malu’s parents in the North Pole.
Malu had great fun with Malu’s seagull friends.
One day Malu’s father told Malu that the hunters had come to trap Malu Malu’s family. Malu knew how to hide very well. Malu shut Malu’s eyes and curled up like a ball of snow. The hunters searched for Malu and Malu’s family everywhere but in vain.
We can avoid repeating the names by using certain other words in their place. Study the table below.
person spoken to
he, him she, her
Now rewrite the above paragraph using words from the above table.
Ans. Malu lived with her parents in the North Pole. She had great fun with her sea gull friends. One day, her father told her that hunters had come to trap her and her family. She know how to hid very well. She shut her eyes can curled up like a ball of snow. The hunters searched for her and her family everywhere but in vain.