NCERT Solutions for Class 5 English Marigold Poem 1 Ice Cream Man
1. In which season is ice-cream popular?
Ans. Ice-cream is popular in summer season.
2. Who feels joyful on seeing the Ice-Cream Man?
Ans. The speaker feels joyful on seeing the Ice-Cream Man.
3. Name the different flavours of ice-cream the Ice cream Man has in his cart.
Ans. The Ice-cream Man has vanilla, chocolate and strawberry flavours of ice-cream in his cart.
4. What are the two things that the Ice-Cream man is selling?
Ans. The Ice-cream Man is selling ice-cream cart is compared to a flower bed.
5. Write about some of the exciting and enjoyable things that one can do in the winter season.
Ans. In winter season, we can eat hot sandwiches and sip hot tea or coffee. We can also sit around a fire and eat popcorn, rewaris and peanuts.
6. List as many summer activities as you can.
Ans. Swimming, tracking going for picnic in the evening, drawing sketches/painting, reading story books, playing video games and cricket.
7. Now group these activities into indoor and outdoor activities.
Ans. Indoor activities: Playing indoor games, drawing/painting, reading story books.
Outdoor activities: Swimming, tracking, playing cricket, going for picnic.
8. What are some of the different sounds you hear when the Ice-cream man comes?
Ans. I hear sound of ringing a bell.
I hear Ice-cream man’s cries loudly.
I hear the joyful shouting of the children.
9. Find out and write a report.
Here is a report on Uncle Lal’s farm
Father took me to visit Uncle Lal’s diary farm. I saw all of Uncle Lal’s cows. He has fifty cows. They eat grass in the big green farms. In the evening the farmers bring them to the barn to be milked. Uncle Lal sells his milk in the city. When writing a report, remember to do these things.
In groups of four, write a report on different brands of ice-cream available in your area.
You may use the following clues.
(i) Start with a short introduction which contains the topic.
(ii) Then list the ice-cream brands available in your area.
(iii) Next, say which are the common flavours of ice-cream in each of the brands.
(iv) Under each brand, find out which flavours are being sold the most. Also find out their prices.
(v) Finally, write which do you think is the most popular ice-cream.
Ans. Our group visited three ice-cream parlours in our area. Mother Dairy sells three flavours, namely Mango Duiet, Vanilla and Chocoa Bar. Kwality Walls offers Orange Bar, Twister and Choco Feat. Amul has Rashberry, Cocola Bar and Surprise Bar. Prices range from Rs. 15 to Rs. 25. We tasted all of them. In my opinion, mother dairy sold by vanilla is the most popular.
10. What do the following words describe in the poem?
Ans. Joyful sight,
11. Can you make these sounds?
12. What are the describing words used in the poem for the following?
(a) _______ mounds
(b) _______ flavour
(c) ______ cluster
Ans. (a) Cooling, brown and white wounds.
(b) Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry flavour.
(c) Thick cluster
13. Draw and colour your dream ice-cream. Describe it using interesting words – the colours, the flavours, the size, how it looks, tastes, feels etc.
Ans. Here is the ice-cream of my dreams. It is a huge bar and looks like a rocket. It has layers of colours, white and chocolate. It is creamy with generous sprinkling of nuts. It has exotic taste, a mixture of several flavours in one.
14. Have you ever eaten kulfi, the ice-cream from North India? The following sentences describe how it is served but they are not in the correct order. Write the correct number before each sentence
Ans. Correct order is as following:
(i) The kulfiwala takes the kulfi mould out of the pitcher.
(ii) He scoops out the kulfi on a plate.
(iii) He arranges some falooda around it.
(iv) Then he pours some sweet syrup over it and serves it.