NCERT Solutions for Class 5 English Marigold Chapter 6 Talkative Barber
1. How many brothers did the Barber have?
Ans. The Barber had six brothers.
2. Why was the Sultan in a hurry?
Ans. Sultan was in a hurry because he had invited a few friends to a feast at noon.
3. Why did the Barber take so long to shave the Sultan?
Ans. The Barber took so long to shave the Sultan because he continued talking and wasting time.
4. Write True or False.
(a) The Barber was shaving the Sultan’s beard.
(b) The Sultan gave him three gold coins.
(c) The Barber refused to leave the Sultan’s palace.
(d) There were seven brothers altogether in the Sultan’s family.
5. Did the Sultan enjoy the Barber’s talk? Why do you say so?
Ans. The Sultan did not enjoy Barber’s talk. He was losing his patience. He wanted to get rid of him.
6. Which part of the story did you find the funniest?
Ans. All the story was funny but I find the last part of the story funniest where the Barber had all the food the Sultan had ordered for the feast.
7. What are the things that Sultan gave to the Barber?
Ans. Sultan gave three pieces of gold, all the food and fruits for dinner.
8. Do you think the Sultan was really very generous? Why do you say so?
Ans. No, I don’t think the Sultan was generous. He gave all the food to the Barber because his head was half-shaved. This was because he was at the mercy of the Barber.
9. Fill in the blanks by adding un-, im- or dis- to the words given in the box.
Tidy, patient, kind, like, able, appear, possible
(i) The teacher got upset with Rani because her work was _____.
(ii) The dog was _____ to climb the tree to chase the cat.
(iii) I ____ hot milk, I like it cold.
(iv) It is ____ to cross the road during peak traffic hours.
(v) The magician waved his magic wand and made the rabbit ____.
(vi) The passengers became ____ when the train was late again.
(vii) It is very ____ to make fun of another person’s weaknesses.
10. Notice the highlighted words in the sentence given below. You ordered me to come, so I will not quit your house till I have shaved you. While he was shaving me, he could not stop talking. Now use the joining words given in the box to fill in the blanks.
If, or, till, where, unless, so, while
(i) Please wait with me ___ the bus arrives.
(ii) Do you like football ___ cricket?
(iii) My father packed my lunch ____ my mother combed my hair.
(iv) We will reach on time ___ we go by the car.
(v) Your speech cannot be heard by the audience ____ you use a powerful mike.
(vi) It was a beautiful day, ____ they decided to go for a picnic.
(vii) We went to the zoo ____ we saw many animals.