NCERT Solutions for Class 4 English Marigold for Poem 2 Noses
1. Why does the poet feel that the nose is a funny thing?
Ans.The nose grows where it is and stick out of the face. Therefore, it is a funny thing.
2. Why is a nose important for you?
Ans.The nose has two holes through which I breathe. Therefore, it is important for my life.
3. Does the child in the poem like her nose? Why do you think so?
Ans.Yes, the child likes her nose. She considers it to be a funny thing, which sticks out just like a handle.
4. Describe a few funny things you have seen. Do they make you language.
Ans.A few funny things that I know are mustaches of men, hairstyle of ladies and some dresses of men and women. Yes, they make me laugh.
5. What does features mean? Look up the dictionary. What are the different kinds of features of people we come across in the world? Discuss.
Ans.Features mean parts of face or ‘distinctive parts’ or ‘appearance’. Some kinds of features are as under:
(i) People with round nose.
(ii) People with flat nose
(iii) People with short nose
(iv) People with long nose
6. What is your favourite fruit? Describe it in five sentences.
Ans.My favourite fruit is apple. It is very tasty. I eat apple with its peel. It has small seeds.
7. (a) How does it smell?
Ans.It smells sweet.
(b) How does it look?
Ans.It looks like a cricket ball.
(c) How does it feel?
Ans.It is hard.
(d) When you bite it what sound does it make?
(e) How does it taste?
Ans.It tastes sweet.
8. Do you know a fish breathe from its gills? Write two sentences about other animals which can breathe under water.
Ans.(i) Crocodile can breathe under water. At times, they rest on the side of ponds.
(ii) Snakes can also breathe under water.
9. Punctuate the following passage:
mother father neelam i said have got a fire engine ive got a fire engine whats this whats this called mother somewhat confused by the noise ive got fire engine mother come and see it.
Ans.“Mother, father” Neelam said, “I have got a fire engine! I’ve got a fire engine!” “What’s this? What is this?” called mother, somewhat confused by the noise. “I have got a fire engine, mother. Come and see it.”
10. Using a red pencil, choose and circle the thing whose smell you like. Now with a blue pencil circle the things whose smell you do not like. Make sentences like this.
I like/ do not like the smell of _____ because it reminds me of _____.
Ans.(i) I do not like the smell of paint because it remind me ofpetrol.
(ii) I do not like the smell ofrotten fruitbecause it reminds me ofdirty shoes.
(iii) I like the smell ofagarbattibecause it reminds me ofscent.
(iv) I like the smell ofcoffeebecause it reminds me ofchocolate.
(v) I like the smell of elaichi because it reminds me ofchampa.
11. Write three pairs of words that rhyme with each other.
Ans.Nose-goes, guess watercress, ball-tall.