NEET(UG): GATEWAY for ENDEAVORING STUDENTS!
NEET Eligibility Criteria 2020 – The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (Under Graduate), succeeded from AIPMT (All India Pre-Medical Test) is an all India entrance examination for students who wish to study undergraduate medical and dental courses in government or private medical and dental colleges in India.
National Testing Agency has initiated the process of admission by releasing the application forms on 2nd December 2019. NEET- UG 2020 applications are on the go; therefore it is the right time for the interested candidates to check their eligibility status before filling in the application form.
An applicant’s eligibility criteria are determined by the conducting body, which is NTA(National Testing Agency). As per the guidelines issued by NTA, the medical aspirants who wish to appear for NEET-UG 2020 must satisfy the Nationality Criteria, the Age Criteria, and the Academic Criteria in order to appear for the entrance examination. Please note that there can be few additional criteria if candidates are planning to apply for 85% State quota seats.
The details of the same can be seen in the upcoming article on Reservations for NEET-UG on our website www.studiestoday.com
Further in this article, we shall read in detail for the NEET Eligibility Criteria 2020 which covers the above mentioned main aspects!
Eligibility to appear in NEET (UG) – 2020 as per the Age Criteria~
This is one of the most basic criteria for the medical students aspiring to be a part of the All India Entrance Exam conducted by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) for admissions to MBBS & BDS Courses in India offered by Medical & Dental Colleges approved by the Medical Council of India & Dental Council of India under the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. This criterion states the following-
- The applicant should have completed the age of17 (Seventeen) years at the time of admission or will complete that age on or before 31 December of the year of his or her admission to the first year Undergraduate Medical Courses or Dental Courses.
- The upper age limit for NEET (UG) is 25 (Twenty five) years as on the date of examination with relaxation of 5 years for the candidates belonging to SC (Scheduled Castes)/ST(Scheduled Tribes) /OBC-NCL (Other Backward Classes-Non Creamy Layer) category and PwD (Persons with Disabilities) Candidates.
- Indian Citizens and Overseas Citizens of India intending to pursue Undergraduate Medical Courses from a foreign Medical and Dental Institute also need to qualify NEET (UG).
The final age criteria of NEET-UG 2020 can be understood in the below mentioned tabular form:
|For Candidates of General/ General-EWS||Born on or before December 31, 2003|
|For Candidates of SC/ST/OBC-NCL/PwD Category|
Please Note: The candidates above 25 years are provisionally permitted to appear in the examination and their candidature is subject to the outcome of pending Petitions before the Hon’ble Supreme Court.
Eligibility to appear in NEET (UG) – 2020 as per the Nationality Criteria~
Nationality defines the status of belonging to a particular nation, whether by birth or naturalization, which is the nationality of an immigrant. Candidates who satisfy the following nationality norms are eligible to apply for admissions to the undergraduate medical and dental courses through NEET UG 2020:
- Indian Nationals
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
- Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs)
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)
- Foreign Nationals.
Eligibility for 15% All India Quota seats in NEET-UG is as follows:
For admission through the All India Quota (AIQ), the candidates need to take part in Online Counselling for NEET UG conducted by Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) of Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), Govt. of India. The students participating in NEET-UG through the 15% AIQ need to follow the following eligibility norms:
- Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCI), Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) and Foreign Nationals are eligible for 15% All India Quota Seats.
- It is to be noted that, students from Union Territory of Jammu &Kashmir and Ladakh are not eligible for 15% All India Quota seats as UT of J&K and Ladakh have opted out of All India Scheme since its inception. If they claim eligibility, they must submit online Self Declaration which will be generated and printed automatically along with confirmation page for the record and the same needs to be presented during Counselling.
- With the coming into effect of the J&K Reorganization Act, 2019 and formation of Union Territories, the Union Territory of Jammu &Kashmir has been requested to consider for participation in the All India Quota. However, a decision is yet to be taken by the UT administration in this regard.
- Whereas, it has been stated that candidates from the Union Territory of Jammu &Kashmir and Ladakh can appear in NEET (UG) 2020 for admission to Private Medical/Dental/Ayurveda/Siddha/Unani/Homeopathy Colleges or any Private/Deemed University and AFMC, AIIMS, JIPMER subject to the fulfillment of respective eligibility conditions.
- The candidates from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana will now participate in 15% All India Quota Counselling without the need of submitting the self- declaration form.
Eligibility for 85% State Quota Seats in NEET-UG 2020 is as follows:
The Candidates who have the valid address proof and domicile of the respective state can apply for admission under the state quota. Eligibility for seats under the control of States/ Deemed Universities, Central Universities/ ESIC (Employees’ State Insurance Corporation) and AFMC (Armed Forces Medical College) including DU (Delhi University), BHU (Banaras Hindu University) & AMU (Aligarh Muslim University)/ central pool quota, AIIMS, JIPMER cover up the following points in detail for Eligibility in NEET-UG!
- Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCI), Persons with Indian Origin (PIO) and Foreign Nationals are eligible for admission in Medical/ Dental/ Ayurveda/ Siddha/ Unani/ Homeopathy Colleges subject to rules and regulations framed by the respective State Governments, Institutions and the Government of India respectively.
- Foreign nationals needs to confirm their eligibility from the concerned Medical/ Dental/ Ayurveda/ Siddha/ Unani/ Homeopathy College and State they intend to apply to.
- As stated by the deciding authorities, the eligibility criteria to appear in NEET (UG) 2020 shall also be applicable to the candidates desirous to take admission in Undergraduate Medical Courses in concerned INIs like AIIMs.
Eligibility to appear in NEET (UG) – 2020 as per the Academic Criteria~
On the academic front, to be eligible for NEET (UG) – 2020, the candidates need to fulfill the necessary Qualifications mentioned below:
- The candidates who have passed the qualifying examination, i.e.,12th Standard in 2020 are eligible for admission to the Undergraduate Medical Courses through NEET- UG 2020.
- The candidates, who are appearing in the qualifying 12th Standard examination in 2020, with results awaited, can also apply and appear in the test but they will be eligible for admission to the Undergraduate Medical Courses only after they pass the qualifying examination with the required pass percentage at the time of first round of Counselling.
- For eligibility in NEET-UG, Candidates must have Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology with English as their main subjects in 12th Standard.
- Class 12th is the basic qualifying exam, but the qualifying marks differ according to the student’s category. Following are the eligibility qualifying marks bifurcated in different categories:
Categories Qualifying Marks
General/GEN-EWS 50% marks in the qualifying exam
OBC/SC/ST Category 40% marks in the qualifying exam
Persons with Disabilities 45% marks in the qualifying exam
NIOS or State Open School or private candidates are eligible to apply for the NEET exam as per last year’s High Court of Delhi order. However, the candidates’ eligibility depends on the final verdict of the special leave petitions filed by the Medical Council of India.
The candidates who have studied abroad and want admission in the medical and dental colleges in India must have passed in Chemistry, Physics, English and Biology/Biotechnology with 50% marks in Class 12thand their equivalent examination determined by the Association of Indian Universities as MCI regulations and the concerned university.
This includes candidates who took the IB (International Baccalaureate)/GCSE/Advanced Placement curriculum in school. The International Baccalaureate (IB) candidates in India are also eligible for NEET-UG 2020.
The Candidates need to fill the appropriate NEET Qualifying Examination Codes in the online application form to complete the process. Refer to the below mentioned Qualifying Examination Codes for understanding the details of the same:
CODE 01: The candidates’ who are appearing for the qualifying examination of 12th Standard, with results awaited, can apply and appear in the test but they will not be eligible for admission to the Undergraduate Medical Courses if they do not pass the qualifying examination with the required pass percentage at the time of first round of Counseling.
Candidates need to have English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as main subject to be eligible to apply and appear in the Competitive Entrance Examination.
CODE 02: Candidates who are in Higher or Senior Secondary Examination or the Indian School Certificate Examination which is equivalent to 10+2 Higher/Senior Secondary Examination after a period of 12 years study, the last two years of such study comprising of Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-technology (which shall include practical tests in these subjects) and
Mathematics or any other elective subject with English at a level not less than the core course for English as prescribed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training after introduction of the 10+2+3 educational structure as recommended by the National Committee on Education have to put this code.
CODE 03:This code includes candidates who have done the Intermediate/Pre-degree Examination in Science of an Indian University/Board or other recognized examining body with Physics, Chemistry, Biology /Biotechnology (which shall include practical test in these subjects) and also English as a compulsory subject.
CODE 04: This code consists of candidates who have completed Pre-professional/Pre-medical Examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English after passing either the Higher Secondary Examination or the Pre-University or an equivalent examination. The Preprofessional/Pre-medical examination shall include practical tests in these subjects and also English as a compulsory subject.
CODE 05:Candidates who have completed the first year of the three years’ degree course of a recognized University with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Biotechnology including practical tests in these subjects provided the examination is a University Examination and candidate has passed the earlier qualifying examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology with English at a level not less than a core course.
CODE 06:Candidates who have passedB.Sc. Examination of an Indian University provided that he or she has passed the B.Sc. Examination with not less than two of the subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany, Zoology)/Biotechnology and further that he or she has passed the earlier qualifying examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.
CODE 07: Candidates who have qualified any other examination which in scope and standard (Last 02 years of 10+2 Study comprising of Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Biotechnology; which shall include practical test in these subjects) is found to be equivalent to the Intermediate Science Examination of an Indian University or Board, taking Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Biotechnology including practical tests in each of these subjects and English.
This completes our detailed article on the Eligibility and Qualifications of “The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test: NEET (UG) 2020.” Stay tuned for further more articles on NEET- UG. Best Wishes!