Exam times are one of the most hectic and nerve-racking periods in the student’s life ever. This pressure will more increase if the board exams are going on. During the exam times students don’t eat, sleep properly in the burden to perform well in the board exams. But they always forget that the brain also requires a lot of energy as a portion of food, rest i.e. good nutrition to work well. To avoid health issues students should take care of both physical and mental health.
There is an old proverb that health is wealth. A healthy mind stays in a healthy body.
Here are some nutrition guidelines for children:
Important food items
Protein: Protein is a very important part of nutrition. Every child needs at least 8-1gm / kg of protein every day. Protein helps in building, maintaining and repairing the tissues in our body.Infact, children require more protein than adults for their growth. Eggs, non- veg, paneer, lentils, legumes, and nuts are the highest source of proteins. As well as providing protein, these foods are also the source of other essential nutrients.
Fats:Fats are also a very important part of the diet to help the child’s brain and nervous system develop properly. Healthy fat is crucial for growth and development. Avoid the use of refined oils for cooking. Ghee and white butter are best for cooking. Avoid processed food and better eat maximum fresh food. Eggs, non-vegetarian, avocados, nuts, and coconut are the major source of saturated fats.
Carbohydrates:Carbohydrates are essential for the body’s energy and regulation of blood glucose. If a child has obesity then he should be avoided to eat carbohydrate-rich foods. Quinoa, sweet potatoes, curd, dairy, legumes, and lentils are the major source of complex carbs. If your child has a sedentary lifestyle, then he must avoid eating sugar enrich fruits.
Must checkout these Healthy Food Habits students should start following.
Food items to be avoided
- Keep away from processed and junk food especially processed flour, sugar and oily foods.
- Avoid frozen foods.
- These foods leads to numerous diseases like diabetes, fatty liver, thyroid issues etc.
- Avoid refined oils for cooking.
- Stop using products like packaged cereals and quick making oats.
Healthy SnacksFor Students
- Prepare dips in the form of hummus, hung curd dip, coconut dip, guacamole,basil- mint chutney or curry leaves- curd dip.
- Prepare finger foods like cut carrot cucumber, cauliflower and these can be had with the dip.
- Roasted peanuts, walnuts, and almonds.
- Idlis are good in fats and low in carbs.
- Boiled eggs
- Chicken cutlets
- Vegetable - Paneer cutlets
How can a student tackle headachesduring study time?
Children generally suffer from headaches due to overeating on processed food and sugar or dehydration.
- Donot feed too many juices or cold drinks.
- Drink a lot of water 5 to 6 liters daily.
- Drink refreshing drinks like coconut water, lemon water or Jaljeera to avoid dehydration.
- Eat clean and green food
- Avoid packaged food
Along with health benefits, these points will also help the students to live stressfree during the exam times. All the best for your exams.